Triton V8 or Ecoboost V6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The ONLY reason I've had an Expedition (and an Explorer) before that is to tow a camper. :) Daily driving these daily is comfortable, etc., and an exercise is burning lots of fuel.

The 5.4 vs 3.5 debate is moot unless one is buying a used truck and I'm not willing to buy a truck someone else has rejected (for one reason or another all used vehicles are rejects). I accept the depreciation hit for the warranty. My 2017 V6 is smoother than my wonderful 2007 V8 mainly because it's newer I suspect. City commuting I get maybe 2 - 4 mpg better fuel economy using 87 octane which the ECU can handle easily. 93 octane has a lot more power on the butt-dyno and is reserved for towing.

My '07 had the 3.73 locking axles. The '17 has the 3.11 (?) with no perceived towing difference with my camper.

I laugh sometimes as my wife's Subaru has a bigger (displacement) engine and half the weight. :)

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, Some clarity...

ALL DI(Direct Injection) Motors have carbon build up issues, not just Ecoboost. Not a Ford issue, but a design issue. Still an issue, but pretty common.

The First gen 3.5TT(What is in 15-17 Expy) is DI. The 2nd Gen 3.5TT(What is in newest F150 and 18 Expy) has both Port Injection and DI. One of the reasons is the build up. The port injection has a secondary action of cleaning the carbon buildup.

Also, Running Techron through won't help much, because it is in the fuel, and because of the DI, the fuel never reaches where the build up is.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My '07 had the 3.73 locking axles. The '17 has the 3.11 (?) with no perceived towing difference with my camper.

If you have a regular length and HD Towing and 4x2 it should could be 3.15, but can have 3.31 or 3.73LS as an option. If you have 4x4 and Regular, the 3.31 is standard, 3.73LS is option.

If you have an EL, 3.31 is minimum for 4x2, and 4x4 has the 3.73.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ONLY reason I've had an Expedition (and an Explorer) before that is to tow a camper. :) Daily driving these daily is comfortable, etc., and an exercise is burning lots of fuel.

The 5.4 vs 3.5 debate is moot unless one is buying a used truck and I'm not willing to buy a truck someone else has rejected (for one reason or another all used vehicles are rejects). I accept the depreciation hit for the warranty."

Demonstrably false. Not all used vehicles are rejects. Ours was off of a commercial lease. They didn't reject it; they fulfilled their obligation.

Also, you're spending far more on the depreciation than the cost of the warranty if you're considering a new Expedition vs. a 2014 (last 5.4), or probably any year comparable used vehicle.

That said, who wouldn't prefer a new vehicle! I don't begrudge anyone for buying new if they can! Some people here with 2017's (Andy/Jeff) seem to have negotiated really good deals for theirs.

In my opinion, Expeditions are great to buy used if you do your homework though, and if a new vehicle isn't in the budget. Seems to be a lot of car of the money.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The 5.4 vs 3.5 debate is moot unless one is buying a used truck and I'm not willing to buy a truck someone else has rejected (for one reason or another all used vehicles are rejects). I accept the depreciation hit for the warranty. My 2017 V6 is smoother than my wonderful 2007 V8 mainly because it's newer I suspect. City commuting I get maybe 2 - 4 mpg better fuel economy using 87 octane which the ECU can handle easily. 93 octane has a lot more power on the butt-dyno and is reserved for towing.

I laugh sometimes as my wife's Subaru has a bigger (displacement) engine and half the weight. :)

-- Chuck

This is simply so untrue and false. Most of my family members run their trucks for three years and move on just because they want something new and fresh as most people. I couldn't buy a expy for $60,000 that is only worth $35,000 or less after two years. If your worried about a reject don't buy a 15-17 because your at the end of a rejected generation of trucks That is being replaced. Not bashing you for buying new I respect your opinion but all used vehicles aren't rejects. Maybe I'll buy new in a few years but for me now it doesn't make sense.

Clemson is right you can buy an expedition that is a year or two old with no miles on it and still under warranty for EXTREMELY LESS MONEY than new.

Last edited:

ranger024x4

Reaction score
This is simply so untrue and false. Most of my family members run their trucks for three years and move on just because they want something new and fresh as most people. I couldn't buy a expy for $60,000 that is only worth $35,000 or less after two years. If your worried about a reject don't buy a 15-17 because your at the end of a rejected generation of trucks That is being replaced. Not bashing you for buying new I respect your opinion but all used vehicles aren't rejects. Maybe I'll buy new in a few years but for me now it doesn't make sense.
if it makes you feel any better, I paid 1/2 of what my expedition stickered for and it was only 1 year old lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65