UPDATE: 03 Ford Expedition 5.4L won't accelerate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Z
Reaction score
So I got my fuel pump replaced. The car stays on but now I’m back at square one with the no acceleration. Do I need to fill the tank for it to register? The mechanic said I have a bad O2 sensor in bank 2. Could that cause loss of power?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got my fuel pump replaced. The car stays on but now I’m back at square one with the no acceleration. Do I need to fill the tank for it to register? The mechanic said I have a bad O2 sensor in bank 2. Could that cause loss of power?

A bad 02 Sensor May cause your vehicle to go into limp mode, and will cause misfires and erratic idling conditions. computer will cut power. Could be part of the problem. Realize the 02 Sensor reports to the ECM and if it’s sending incorrect information upstream the engine isn’t being told how to burn the mixture correctly, replace that.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me ask a real dumb question? Your mechanic said you needed a fuel pump to get or keep your suv running, didn't he also said you'll need or probably need a oxygen sensor, afterward, due to his dtc computer test before his fuel pressure test? Or did he say you need a fuel pump, then came up with 02 sensor afterwards? Any shop manager should also state as I used to, you may have other problems, this is what we need to change first!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z
Reaction score
Let me ask a real dumb question? Your mechanic said you needed a fuel pump to get or keep your suv running, didn't he also said you'll need or probably need a oxygen sensor, afterward, due to his dtc computer test before his fuel pressure test? Or did he say you need a fuel pump, then came up with 02 sensor afterwards? Any shop manager should also state as I used to, you may have other problems, this is what we need to change first!

The mechanic that replaced the MAF sensor and idle air control valve didn’t mention anything about an O2 sensor. In fact, if you read my thread, you can see the list of things he did recommend. All of which everyone said had nothing to do with my truck not working. So this O2 sensor code is new. I wonder which other codes will pop up once the O2 sensor is replaced.

Plati

Reaction score
I think in some cases its better to go to a dealer and pay them the diagnose problem fee. Years ago my girl had a windstar van and the corner garage mechanic replaced O2 sensors and some other things which fixed nothing but cost $500. I took it to a dealer who found it was the intake manifold. Cost $75 for that.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I concur with polarizer, you had a ton of issues/codes, when you started this ordeal. I know with 5 little ones, moneys tight, and seems like your not making any headway. I don't know the law in Nevada, but here in California, when a shop gives a quote to repair an issue, it should be resolved. The only stipulation is if they write on work order, their may be other items/repairs that need to be completed. They need to tell you verbally, and in writing. When I wrote service, I was very clear to both my customers, and mechanics. That way we cut way down on comebacks, and consumer affairs complaints. Good luck, keep in touch with updates Moose.

OP
OP
Z
Reaction score
OK so I had my car towed to the local Meineke and they did a full inspection on the car they told me that the repairs needed to get this car fixed would cost over $6000. But for it to accelerate correctly I would need to get a new catalytic converter because mine is rusted out, a new intake manifold, new heated O2 sensors, and the new air filter those things will cost me $2500. I cannot believe this. So I’m going to get the car towed back to the house and probably just give it up. I don’t know. Hopefully my tax check comes in time for me to purchase another car. This sucks. Will it be worth it paying for the repairs or what?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK so I had my car towed to the local Meineke and they did a full inspection on the car they told me that the repairs needed to get this car fixed would cost over $6000. But for it to accelerate correctly I would need to get a new catalytic converter because mine is rusted out, a new intake manifold, new heated O2 sensors, and the new air filter those things will cost me $2500. I cannot believe this. So I’m going to get the car towed back to the house and probably just give it up. I don’t know. Hopefully my tax check comes in time for me to purchase another car. This sucks. Will it be worth it paying for the repairs or what?

Probably time to get something else then. It’s an 03 and the only cost effective way is to fix it yourself to be worth it, which you don’t want to attemp with these repairs.... probably should get something else is my take.