Well, the spark plug demon got me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took my 2008 into the dealership for a miss in the engine. They called spark plugs. I said fine replace them, and they ended up breaking 3 of 4 so far with one unextractable. So now they are telling me that I have to have the head removed to get the other one out. No help from the dealer or Ford. So I'm taking this one Greek style. lovely.

OP
OP
J

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a ******* racket. They are suggesting I replace the ENGINE. For SPARK PLUGS.

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a ******* racket. They are suggesting I replace the ENGINE. For SPARK PLUGS.
That's because Ford doesn't play real mechanics anymore evidently I took mine for the dreaded clacking in the front of the engine when you start it you know timing chain cam phasers anyway I took it to the Ford dealership closest to me they said all we don't tear into him to diagnose it just wait till the engine starts knocking and then we'll just have it replaced

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are at a lousy dealership with bad staff in the shop. Unfortunately this is a common occurrence at dealerships. Ford issued a TSB and procedure for removing spark plugs from 04-08’ model year vehicles that the dealers don’t always follow. Carbon build up sticks the plug in the head and they break off. Fords solution was as follows: Spray carb cleaner in the spark plug wells and let soak for a minimal 20 minutes, loosen all plugs 1/2 turn with ratchet, switch to remove with impact quickly. This method normally works and your dealer likely didn’t follow it breaking that many as it sounds like the carbon was never broken up using the cleaner. I replaced all 8 myself on my 2007 and following the procedure it went smoothly.

Last edited:

fordexpylvr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had all my plugs replaced last yr. they did break one off and I did have to pay for it. then later they found one was defective. had it replaced. have replaced all coils and 2 fuel injectors. my 07 expy 5.4 is running fine now but I am trading it off before it needs a cam laser. gonna get a 17 expy I am all done with 5.4

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get it towed to a shop that has the removal tool. You'll have to pay the dealer for whatever they've done. Any decent shop can pull the broken ones, and replace with the new style one piece plugs. You don't have to pull heads, they're just being overly cautious, and want to run up the bill.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also as moose said the replacement latest motorcraft plugs are not a three piece that will break, they’ve been updated.

OP
OP
J

jcmeyer5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They did 4 plugs, broke 3, extracted 2. They quoted $3850 to finish the job. I talked to the service manager and he threw his service rep under the bus. Said he should never have suggested a new engine. They lowered to $2950, and they are going to try to extract again before that. They haven't touched the other side yet.

The fact that Ford hasn't just authorized them to do the work necessary to remedy the flaw is beyond comprehension. Especially since they clearly know of the issue.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be misreading something, they are saying you have to pay for the damage they caused???

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Happened to me when I was doing my plugs, I stripped one so bad that neither the spark plug tool nor an extractor worked... took a lot of thinking and creativity but In the end I filled up the stripped plug with graphite powder and lord behold that gave it enough friction to allow the extractor to get a grip.

Paying 3k possibly 6k for a truck that's worth 6k is just stupid, I strongly recommend you take it either somewhere else or you do the work yourself and do it right... you know how it's done right? Cause you care about the damn truck you'll be patient enough to work it out cause you need the damn thing to run and not cost you an arm & a leg and possibly a ***** to get it fixed by some teenager straight out of UTI who ford hired but is clueless about anything that's not a 95 honda civic hatchback...