Which Door Speakers is Everyone Using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well bloodzero lets end this before it gets nasty. My post to you was in reply to your original comment on 8-6-07. Your post then was "Sony sucks by the way. Crappy company with crappy products."

I previously said that sony is a good bang for your buck. Which means a nice sound at a decent price. Yes there are other brands out there and they all have there plus's and minus's. Some more expensive then others, but don't go knocking the rest of us for not meeting your high standards. If you are as well educated in the car audio field as you say you are, you would realize this.

Perhaps I'm not as much of a car audiophile as you, but I really could care less.

I hope this is the end of this conversation. Have a nice day.

*Admin Edit*

Last edited:

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a Panasonic headunit (50 watts max x 4 -- 200 watts max total) and want to upgrade my factory premium speakers.

What are the specs for these factory speakers (front and rear)? IE: size, coaxial or component? power handling (rms and max), frequency range, etc...

Also, what do you guys recommend for speakers if I am only going to be using the headunit for power (no additional external amp) and am looking to spend under $200 for all four speakers (preferably not component systems)? I should be looking for speakers with rms ranges well below 50 watts, correct?

Thanks for anticipated information and suggestions.

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
50 x 4 is what your headunit will put out at max volume. It's also the average for pretty much any headunit. So how loud it will go will not change very much will new speakers, what will change is the sound quality.

A great place to look for speakers and anything car audio is Crutchfield.

It will show you what fits your car. If you want a warranty and all that, I'd buy from an online store like that. They are great but sometimes get pricey. For 100 bucks, you could get a pretty good set of non-component speakers off ebay.

And they are really easy to install yourself. But if you are completely mechanically inclined, could always go to your local audio shop and buy their speakers. But beware, they are just trying to get there commission and will probably point you towards the most expensive pair they have. And since you aren't going to run an amp to it, would be a complete waste of money.

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remo one thing you'll need to do is watch the speaker depth on the speakers you purchase. If you drive a newer Expedition, 03 or newer, you may have a problem with the pioneers in the rear doors that bloodzero is suggesting. On the 03's and up, not counting the latest expedition body style, the rear door speaker depth is half and inch shallower than the front door. Before I purchased the 3-way sonys I have in my 03, through cruthcfield, I was going to buy the pioneers that bloodzero is suggesting. At that time the crutchfield tech had told me that the pioneers would not work in the rear doors of my 03 expedition. The crutchfield tech suggested the sonys as a nice sounding, comparably priced, quality alternative. As of today I have not been unhappy with them. The nice thing about cruthfield is they know thier stuff. When you purchase anything from them they give you everything you'll need from the directions on how to install whatever you bought to the speaker wiring harnesses. They also have 24 hour tech support if your still not sure how to do something. It's very easy to install most car audio stuff yourself with everything crutchfield gives you when you purchase something from them. Hope that helps.

Breezyjr

Reaction score
Remo,
Pretty much "ANY" speaker you buy will be better than stock. As long as you're buying from a car audio chain, or Best buy, etc,
Personally, the problem I see with eBay is you don't know what the seller did with the speakers, did the get wet, blown, or just plain broken.
Here in Mich I've seen quite a few sales for free speakers with purchase of head unit.

Crutchfield is a great place to find speakers to fit your car, I didn't look at the price of the link Bloodzero provided, but being Pioneer, they would work just fine.

I'm a firm believer in listening before you buy. Not every shop will try to sell you the best. Find out if the has included labor in the price, that way if you plan on installing them yourself, you can ask if the price is lower for no install.

I think you "usual" size of the ford speakers seems to be 4x6. At least that's been the size everytime I've replaced my OEM speakers.

Good luck. I'd still suggest to go around to a few stores, "LISTEN" to different speakers, until you find a pair you like. But, I'll warn you, if you have a tight budget, don't even "LOOK or LISTEN" to the speakers that are above your budget, because you "will" like them better (at least most of the time)...
Also, if there's a song you know really well, bring it with you. Listen to it in your car, then bring the CD into the store and ask them to play your song. You'll really hear the difference between OEM and pretty much anything the store will have.

Sorry if I've babbled on, but I was drving for about 12 hours, and got to bed at 4:15 am, and woke at 6:30... so I'm like Larry wiggy tired.

Later,
breezyjr

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep in mind the distortion ratings of headunits. You may get 50 watts peak, but with 10% distortion, making it almost unbearable at high volume.

While a 50-watt-per-channel external amp may have 0.10% distortion, so it will sound a lot cleaner at high volumes.

I ran a 35 watt/channel external amp for my Expy's system (to run the door speakers), and I gurantee you that it played louder and cleaner than any high-output headunit...even without my sub.

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's driving a 2000 Expo. I don't know if it's EB or not but that shouldn't really matter with the door panels.

And the trick with Ebay is to look at the sellers recent reviews. You are much more safe buying from someone with +3000 positive than someone with +8. Most companies will go and sell on Ebay cause they can get the product from the manufacturer for dirt cheap if they buy it in bulk so they go and resell on Ebay to turn a profit.

Last edited: