Which Gen 3 is the best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Isn't it a little early to declare the ecoboost the champion? It's been in use for 3 years in the expys, right?
Get back to me in 10 years.

Has nothing to do what body is wrapped around it. It’s been in F150’s since 2011. Several out there without catch cans with 300,000 miles on them. And there’s a ton of F150’s running around. I can’t even believe my own ears. I’m a resident toyota guy freshly out of years of exclusive toyota ownership most recently my beloved land cruiser, and yet I’m championing a ford on here. * shaking head *

I give up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3.5L is a reliable engine, it’s personal preference. I’ve just never been a forced induction kind of guy I’m a cubic inch guy. The 2.7L EcoBoost in the F-150 however is a relatively problematic engine that has pretty poor reliability, it’s just too small. That same narrative does not hold true with the 3.5L though, much better.

Last edited:

UncleDJ

Reaction score
Like I said.....folks seem to like the EB. Didn't mean to get anyone's ******* in a wad.
IMHO, there's no replacement for displacement. I'm sure the greater HP and torque are great, but it just strikes me that it'd have to be a "high strung" motor. Time will tell if they have the same lifespan of the tried and true.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m old school and always have had V8’s in everything except a couple Rangers and a Bronco 2 and that’s only because they didn’t offer them. I can tell you I probably would’ve got an Expy with a Coyote V8 if it was offered, but I’m glad they weren’t. I Love the power that this little engine makes at low rpm like a diesel only without the stink or noise.Unlike the Ranger/Bronco 2 V6’s , this power plant has truck guts.It made me a believer.

UncleDJ

Reaction score
I’m old school and always have had V8’s in everything except a couple Rangers and a Bronco 2 and that’s only because they didn’t offer them. I can tell you I probably would’ve got an Expy with a Coyote V8 if it was offered, but I’m glad they weren’t. I Love the power that this little engine makes at low rpm like a diesel only without the stink or noise.Unlike the Ranger/Bronco 2 V6’s , this power plant has truck guts.It made me a believer.

Well put. You may very well be correct, but I'm not to the point yet where I wanted to give it a go.
The way things are going, it appears 8 cylinder motors across the board are becoming scarce, so I may eventually be forced to find out about the benefits of a 6 banger.
I'm truly happy that y'all are so pleased with the Ecoboost, but understand that I'm also pleased with the 5.4 in mine.
Please don't hold that against me. lol:chewie:

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this same discussion with a co-worker. Ford's F150 has been the sales leader for what, 40 years? Do you think they would put anything in the vehicle that would mess with that status? If so everyone at the top of the company should be fired.

Also Diesels have had turbos for quite sometime. Many go over a million miles. Would you be afraid of buying a truck with a turbo diesel?

Ford has turbos in nearly all of their cars. If they screw it up, Toyota and Honda would be happy to take their customers.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really want to get technical both the V8 and the forced induction V6 are dinasaurs in the powertrain world. They’ve both been around well..... forever. Hybrid and or electric Powertrains are where we will be heading fast..... we can kiss our piston only engines goodbye.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you really want to get technical both the V8 and the forced induction V6 are dinasaurs in the powertrain world. They’ve both been around well..... forever. Hybrid and or electric Powertrains are where we will be heading fast..... we can kiss our piston only engines goodbye.
There certainly is a market for hybrid and all-electric vehicles and for now that is limited to mostly urban areas, but until they solve the range and recharge rate problems, people will still be using dinosaurs for decades to come. BTW, the range and recharge rate issues are significant. Then add to the power load things like lights (for driving at night), interior heating systems for the northern latitudes and cooling systems for everybody. Further, add luggage, groceries, the bass boat, the 30' travel trailer, you know, all those things we use our vehicles for.

Fossil fuels will be around until a source can be found that costs less and does the same amount of work.