Why an Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quique309

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I would like to hear some of your experiences and first off, why did you choose an Expedition over an F150 or a suburban etc. I would like to see what advantages helped in making your decision and what do you use it for mostly.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this is in the 3rd gen forum and I'm a 1st gen owner, but here goes:
1. It's a Ford. I like Fords. I've had a few GM products in my life and never really liked them all that much.
2. It's based on the F-150. Replacement parts galore! Although I was hoping for better aftermarket support because it's based on the F-150. Turns out the 10th gen F-150 doesn't have much aftermarket support.
3. Enclosed cargo area- good for taking my dogs camping with the family. I don't need an open bed pickup truck.
4. Just always liked Expeditions- 1st gens especially.
5. I was initially shopping for a 3rd/4th gen Explorer and decided to step up to a full-size. Slightly cheaper price point, slight hit to MPGs but significantly larger interior.
6. Shorter (length) than an F-150- easier to park.

OP
OP
Quique309

Quique309

Reaction score
Hello ExplorerTom, I too seem to prefer Ford over GM since I owned a Town Car many years ago. The 4.6l v8 proved it's reliability to me over the years and that's one of the reasons that drew my attention to the Expedition with a bigger version of that engine.
I too appreciate that it's based on the F150 and is body on frame. I too expected more aftermarket support. I have really like the 3rd gen but i can always appreciate a clean looking 1st gen!

2007Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't in the market for a SUV, but came across a deal that I couldn't pass up. Since getting my 07 Expedition, I've grown very fond of it. The ride is firm but smooth. The 5.4 is plenty powerful for me (pulls my boat with ease.) I like the styling and the gas mileage is better than the 1995 F150 (with a 302) that I was driving.

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 3800 pound boat. I wanted enough space for 5 or 6 people and secure area for gear in my tow rig. I had great experience with my Explorer. At the time, I tried a Suburban, but needed a shorter turning radius to back my boat into my driveway. Also, the Suburban seemed to have a lot of loose plastic crap decorating the interior. My first Expy ('99) lasted plenty-o-miles without problems, so when it came time for replacement, I jumped on a '12 so I could still have the 5.4 and load leveling suspension. Happy I did ... the little turbo hasn't captured my trust yet.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I needed something big w/ an enclosed cargo area as we travel with our dogs several days per week. That left me the Sequoia, Expedition and Suburban. I ruled out the Suburban pretty quickly due to the loose steering and bouncy ride. I ruled out the Sequoia primarily due to cost. If I went with a Sequoia I would have had to roll back to an '08 or '07 to be at the same price point as an '11 Expedition.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife had company discount... $43k truck for $28k...couldn't pass that up

Mr. 10K

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Room for a family of 4 (now plus friends) plus the dog to ride comfortably
Ability to tow a travel trailer. (about 7000lbs)
Styling.
It's a Ford.

I'm on my second Expedition. I replaced the 07 with a 15 EL (more room for stuff when traveling)

Gamecock

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did a lot of shopping. My wife's Hyundai Sonata was coming up on lease so I needed a replacement. She didn't mind taking my `03 Sport Trac (we still have with 225K miles on it, its like a Timex). I shopped for F150's but my folk's offered up the Expo. The price was way better, I knew the history/maintenance done, and my Dad takes real good care of his vehicles.

It also makes sense with 2 boys in baseball (8 & 12), me coaching, and all the crap we have to haul. Having the Expo everything is covered and locked up too. Plenty of room for vacations with the family and the dogs. Its worked out well so far other than the minor issues I've hit (AC/Heated Seats out, Alternator Pulley Bearing on its way out). From reviews I've read they ride better than the Tahoes, etc too. Not as powerful, but perfect for me. I don't commute far for work (14 miles one way) so gas mileage isn't a big deal.

wermad

Reaction score
-GM twins have solid rear axles => cramped 3rd row.
-Sequoia was very few and most were out of budget (newest version)
-Armada was a good second place and nissan did excellent job for their first full-size suv. In the end, the little details coupled with a 5 speed auto (vs six on the 3rd gens) and tons of 5.6 engine horror stories kept it in second place.

We had the Navigator on our list (05-06 and 07-14) but the premium, some of the interior styling cues, and most were captains chair in the middle ultimately had this one crossed off our list.

After 10 months of searching, we found the Expedition we wanted (minus a few small details we could live with out). Its funny that we had traveled up to 100 miles to see other Expeditions and we bought ours from a smaller dealer a mile away :rolleyes:

Current status:

LL