Will the 5w 30 wt work for my 5.4 or stick with the 5w 20wt..does it make a differenc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mocrawlin

Reaction score
i also run a quart of lucas stabilizer in mine. i used to work at orielly auto parts as a parts counterman. if you have ever seen the little display lucas has in the stores on the counter, you can see first hand that it works.

i have always ran it in high mileage engines. my 99 has 180000 miles and it does have a real slight knock in it, so it can not hurt. lol as for the 10w30, i also always run it in high mileage engines. sometimes 10w40.

5w20 is ok for a new one, and heavier weight in one of these with new engine to low miles can and will (i have seen it with my own eyes) blow oil filters off of a good tight engine. local highway patrol dept had this problem when they started running the ford cars with the mod motors. k&n oil filters will withstand alot more pressure then normal filters too by the way!

only thing i dont like about lucas is it can and will aerate the oil. seen tests done on it, but you shouldnt have to worry about it in normal driving. in a high rpm race engine yes, maybe.

OP
OP
F

Froggy Ford

Reaction score
Good info, thanks. My engine is at 108k so maybe i can wait til i move up to the 10w30 or wait til i hear a knocking noise..lol..but thanks for chiming in!

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Froggy, my '01 has 111k on it and I have been running Castrol high mileage (conventional) 5w30 in DFW Tx. 20w just seems too light to me with our summers here.

No oil leaks in the truck now ... but have been thinking about converting over to synthetic. We only put about 3-4k on her a year, which means I'm changing oil every 6-8 months. Synthetic would only buy me a few more months between oil changes, so I may just stick to what's been working.

OP
OP
F

Froggy Ford

Reaction score
Thats what i thought too 71rcode, that 20w was just to light and here in south florida it seems to always be summer, even in the winter lol..Synthetic iv been thinking about but the the seller stated he never used synthetic (he was original owner) so i didnt know if adding/switching to it now would be a good idea @ 108k...i figure go with 5 qts of 5w30 and one qt of lucas oil stabilizer..figure it cant hurt..

OP
OP
F

Froggy Ford

Reaction score
Boy did i feel stupid today...looked and looked for an oil filter on the block and was wondering wtf i cant find it until out of the corner of my eye i see a white oil filter by the front driver side wheel well! Man whats up with this design? Now take it easy on me gang this is my 1st exppy...but easiest damn filter change ever LOL!

Idahokid

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have owned my expy for a year now.Oil cap said 5w30.So I bought 5w30.Went to ford the second time and they have an updated chart that says 5w20.I use Motorcraft synthetic blend always.I notice nothing between the two.

Froggy Ford: I had a hard time finding the filter also.But have grown to like it.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Slightly off topic note for you guys... but I've been driving cars and changing my own oil for 30 years now, and I've NEVER cross threaded an oil filter before until a couple weeks ago with the Expedition. Mine is not the remote filter, btw.

As I was tightening the new Fram filter by hand, I kept thinking... "why is this not spinning freely...?" Started the truck and soon learned why --- spew city. Haaaaa. Back to Autozone for another one. Still using Castrol high mileage 5w30 and changing every 6+ months at less than 3k per interval.

Sometimes I can do some pretty stupid stuff.