Will the 5w 30 wt work for my 5.4 or stick with the 5w 20wt..does it make a differenc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

Froggy Ford

Reaction score
How many miles on that older engine and does it currently leak now? From my take is that if you have over 150k on her and have been using non synthetic oil just stick with that program..now if you bought the vehicle and the prior owner has always used synthetic and its not leaking then go with it...just be consistant with what keeping the ex running smooth..iv heard that sometimes switching to a full synthetic will cause seaping and leaking through older gaskets and valve seats...dont quote me on that just second hand imfo..im sure the gang on here will chime in with there intel..

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Froggy, I share the same hesitation of starting a 12 year old Expedition on synthetic, even if she only has 110k on her. My undercarriage and driveway are spotless today, and I don't want to potentially open the door to any leaks just to save (possibly?) a few dollars a year and an extra oil change. The oil change is really an extra excuse, IMHO, to look the truck over for anything out of the ordinary.

BTW, I run synthetic in our other two vehicles, and run them for (Amsoil in both) for 11 months with the same oil + one filter change (10k miles, approx). No leaks.

OP
OP
F

Froggy Ford

Reaction score
I hear ya 71rcode about opening that door! Also Ridgerunner when ya bought the ex did ya find any prior paper work or receipt/s for a jiffy lube or a sticker with last oil change on the windshield? If so and the truck is local they might have it on file and tell ya what it was running..if not stick with reg oil and spend a little extra on the oil filter bro...hope this helps..

Ridgerunner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear ya 71rcode about opening that door! Also Ridgerunner when ya bought the ex did ya find any prior paper work or receipt/s for a jiffy lube or a sticker with last oil change on the windshield? If so and the truck is local they might have it on file and tell ya what it was running..if not stick with reg oil and spend a little extra on the oil filter bro...hope this helps..

I wish it was local. I need to find a owners manual, one aluminum wheel. Someone put the spare on and didn't put the original wheel inside the Ex. mainly a few odds and ends to get it back to where it should be.

OP
OP
F

Froggy Ford

Reaction score
Thats no biggie and an easy fix, hell craigslist has plenty of rims and tires even complete matching sets, also make sure your windshield is not leaking and dripping into your vehicle and onto the gem mod. How long ya had it and how many miles onit?