New headlights and foglights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am sick of not wanting to drive when it is dark out, so I need to buy new headlight and foglight housings. I already have 8K HIDs in both but am probably getting a 6K Bi-xenon kit to eliminate the crappy halogen high beam.

Here are my favorite headlights that I have found so far. I like how it looks stock with a black housing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...574721&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2671wt_937
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...68872&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_5358wt_1165

My biggest questions are these:

Does anyone have these exact lights, and what do you think of the quality of them?

Is there a similar light that you would recommend? I don't want to deal with a fogged up headlight after a couple months of use.

What fog light housing can I use that will be a close match for either of those headlights? I can't seem to find anything besides the crystal clear.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with your first ones in a couple of weeks after I get my first paycheck this summer. I am going to switch to 6Ks, but some of the guys say you won't need the bi-xenon. I don't have factory fogs, so I can't help you there, and I am also interested if the HIDs will fog up the new lenses.

Here is my link if any of the material helps you out.
http://fordexpeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=599

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
99 Expy, the HIDs do not necessarily fog up the headlights. What fogs up the headlights is 2 things. Some of the headlights use a cheaper acrylic and it will whiten/yellow over time and unfortunately, this can't be corrected without having to buy new headlights. The second thing is getting a leak into the housing (either from around the headlight bulb or between the colored backing and the clear acrylic front). This is normally fixed with either a new seal for the headlight bulb or re-sealing the front and rear halves of the headlight assembly.

If you are worried about the heat from the HID damaging the headlight housing, don't worry. The HID bulbs actually radiate less heat to the headlight housing than a standard halogen bulb. Halogen bulbs are 55W (potentially more) where the proper HIDs are only 35W.

If you have any other questions about HIDs and whatnot, let me know.

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The issue with fogging is just to see if anyone else has had a problem with "off brand" headlights. I might go ahead and hold off on the Bi-Xenon 6K hid kit and see how a new headlight housing works with my current 8K setup. I think the biggest problem is that the stock headlight assemblies just scatter all the light instead of focusing it where it should be.

I am open to suggestions for a good headlight assembly, but I want something that looks semi-stock. I am not really interested in all the LED's and fancy looking stuff.

jjbusa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
could alway get them and put a bead of silicone on it before install

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_5358wt_1165

your 2nd choice from OP

these are very similar to mine... except mine have LEDs in the bottom portion... they are similar to the audi R8 lights... also running 10K 35W HIDs...

the only problem I have had is a couple of the LEDs have burned out but otherwise no problems with leaks of fading... they have been on my expy for almost 2 years now

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey walnuts, i kinda like the leds like you have is there anyway to replace the ones that burnt out or just get new headlights? i dont wanna get them and have them start going out within a year or so

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you would have to tear the entire headlight assembly apart to replace the LEDs... soon I am gonna order some plain ones... or go steal my old lighting headlights back from DGray69...lol

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you look at my headlights, I have LEDs in the bottoms of them and they are removeable from the back of the headlight assembly. So, if I wanted to, I could put just about any 5mm LED in there I wanted. He he he he he he. They are a one piece setup, so, mounting them is pretty easy unless you have an early 97 Expy like I do since the header metal is slightly different and there are some clearance issues.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you look at my headlights, I have LEDs in the bottoms of them and they are removeable from the back of the headlight assembly. So, if I wanted to, I could put just about any 5mm LED in there I wanted. He he he he he he. They are a one piece setup, so, mounting them is pretty easy unless you have an early 97 Expy like I do since the header metal is slightly different and there are some clearance issues.

i tried lol i can see them in the pic of your truck i am debating on the clear ones like you have or a smoked version. and what brand do you have i like the idea of being able to replace the leds. i also kinda like the angel eye headlights just havent found a set that i like so far