‘22 Timberline Driver Door Master Switch Module Died (no control for folding mirrors, windows), then started working again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimberExpy

Reaction score
So our 2022 Expy Timberline with only 11k miles on it had its driver door master switch module (not sure if that’s even what it’s called) die on us this morning.

Our apartment building has smaller and more narrow garages, so I am constantly folding the mirrors in and out in order to move the truck in and out of our garage. This morning when I attempted to fold the mirrors out using the switch on the driver door as usual, it did not work. I then noticed that none of the switches in that immediate cluster worked - not any of the window switches, nor the master window lock button, which has the tiny LED light that goes on and off. The other windows would however operate with their respective door switches.

I immediately set up an appointment for tomorrow with Ford’s Quick Lane to see if they could figure it out. At the time I told them that these things are sometimes intermittent and it may come back, but I would still bring the truck in if it started working again nonetheless.

Sure enough, this evening I tried it again, but this time everything operated as normal.

Has anyone else had issues similar to this?

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So our 2022 Expy Timberline with only 11k miles on it had its driver door master switch module (not sure if that’s even what it’s called) die on us this morning.

Our apartment building has smaller and more narrow garages, so I am constantly folding the mirrors in and out in order to move the truck in and out of our garage. This morning when I attempted to fold the mirrors out using the switch on the driver door as usual, it did not work. I then noticed that none of the switches in that immediate cluster worked - not any of the window switches, nor the master window lock button, which has the tiny LED light that goes on and off. The other windows would however operate with their respective door switches.

I immediately set up an appointment for tomorrow with Ford’s Quick Lane to see if they could figure it out. At the time I told them that these things are sometimes intermittent and it may come back, but I would still bring the truck in if it started working again nonetheless.

Sure enough, this evening I tried it again, but this time everything operated as normal.

Has anyone else had issues similar to this?
Check for loose connections, could also be water issue.

KetMalice

Reaction score
Welcome to the intermittent issues that plague 22 Expeditions and Ford gives you the big ole middle finger to.

I’ve literally reproduced issues for the service manager and had dead screens that they say Ford wont fix. Because it doesn’t store a code and they don’t have it hooked up to the computer when it fails.

It literally takes hours upon hours with complaining to Ford customer service to get anything fixed anymore. Ford has hamstrung dealerships to allow warranty work unless the computer is hooked up or it stores a code.

BlackMagic

Reaction score
@TimberExpy. I experienced the same issue 3 time since I picked up my 22 XLT Expedition in June of last yr. it appears that the issue is that the vehicle did not recognize your remote before you started the vehicle. I’m not sure if that’s the cause. The 1st time it happened to me, I thought the remote wasn’t working, so I changed remotes and everything worked OK. It seems that whatever the cause is it resets itself after 5 minutes.

coolvman83

Reaction score
I’ve experienced the same issue with my ‘22 Timberline about 4 times now. The common experience is when the temperature drops into the 20’s or colder, the entire window switch/ mirror switch on the driver side door- only is dead. In the afternoon, the entire switch operates without issue. Haven’t brought it in for review- hoping for a code or complete switch failure.

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
@TimberExpy. I experienced the same issue 3 time since I picked up my 22 XLT Expedition in June of last yr. it appears that the issue is that the vehicle did not recognize your remote before you started the vehicle. I’m not sure if that’s the cause. The 1st time it happened to me, I thought the remote wasn’t working, so I changed remotes and everything worked OK. It seems that whatever the cause is it resets itself after 5 minutes.
By “remote”, do you mean the key fob?

And if so, then why would the engine start ok?

Timber

Reaction score
I experienced this same issue this morning with my 2022 Timberline. I'm hoping it's because of the cold and will fix itself once it warms up. That said, I did use my remote to remote start my car this morning (first time). I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it? Only time will tell I'm guessing.

RacerBX1

Reaction score
I experienced this same issue this morning with my 2022 Timberline. I'm hoping it's because of the cold and will fix itself once it warms up. That said, I did use my remote to remote start my car this morning (first time). I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it? Only time will tell I'm guessing.
I’ve had this happen to my 2023 Timberline once. It was on a day not unlike many other days my vehicle has seen (rainy, but not freezing). With mine mirrors and front windows did not work but back windows still worked. I tried to shut it off and open and close the drivers door with no luck. Parked it after driving and about 6 hours later got back in and everything worked fine. This happened in the beginning of October 2023 and hasn’t happened since. I chalked it up to a software glitch as there seems to be a few of in these Expeditions.
I wish Ford had a place where software bugs could be sent to them apposed to having to take and leave it at a dealership just to get them to report the issue to Ford.
For software bugs/glitches some examples are rear controls don’t always hold the last setting (at times Auto in the rear turns off and no one is ever in the back seats). If left on Nav screen most times won’t return to it after start so have to go back to menu to select. Optional gauges in middle of instrument cluster won’t stay after re-start. These are a few examples, but I’ve experienced more.

bigwilly

Reaction score
I’ve had this happen to my 2023 Timberline once. It was on a day not unlike many other days my vehicle has seen (rainy, but not freezing). With mine mirrors and front windows did not work but back windows still worked. I tried to shut it off and open and close the drivers door with no luck. Parked it after driving and about 6 hours later got back in and everything worked fine. This happened in the beginning of October 2023 and hasn’t happened since. I chalked it up to a software glitch as there seems to be a few of in these Expeditions.
I wish Ford had a place where software bugs could be sent to them apposed to having to take and leave it at a dealership just to get them to report the issue to Ford.
For software bugs/glitches some examples are rear controls don’t always hold the last setting (at times Auto in the rear turns off and no one is ever in the back seats). If left on Nav screen most times won’t return to it after start so have to go back to menu to select. Optional gauges in middle of instrument cluster won’t stay after re-start. These are a few examples, but I’ve experienced more.
Mine is doing it this exact same way. The two back window switches work but front windows and mirror controls stop working. After being shut off for a couple of hours, everything starts working fine. It's happened 3 or 4 times over the last 2 months or so. I have not taken to the dealer for diagnosis, haven't had the time. 2023 Limited SPP with ~15k miles.

LegalBrief

Reaction score
There is a special service bulletin.. some software in the door control needs updating.

Special Service Message 51860 - 2022-2023 Navigator - Intermittent Auto Fold Mirrors Not Opening Completely At Start Up

Some 2022-2023 Navigator vehicles equipped with auto fold exterior mirrors may exhibit an intermittent condition with the mirrors not opening completely during vehicle start up. This may be due to the software in the driver door module (DDM) and passenger door module (PDM). To correct the condition, reprogram the DDM and PDM using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 14B291 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.