00 XLT RWD pulls to the right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh_913

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Ive owned my expedition for almost a year now and its always had this slight pull to the right thay gets stronger the faster youre going. Its a 2000 XLT RWD with a 4 1/2" lift on 35's.

I did my research and replaced the upper control arm (bushings and ball joint) and the lower ball joint since they all looked pretty beat to hell, but that didnt fix the problem. Ive taken it to two different allignment shops and both said my alignment was perfect.

Anybody else have this problem? Ive been trying to figure it out since i bought the car, what Im thinking now is that i need to replace my pitman arm or idler arm both look in pretty bad condition. If im holding onto the wheel the pulling isnt overwhelming but if i let go for a second it wants to pull right.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, I would rotate/switch the two front tires temporarily, to eliminate the tires being the cause. You can do this temporarily, even if they are directional tires for testing purposes. If they are new and the problem, you may be able to exchange them at no cost to you. Eliminate the easiest first. Also be aware of road conditions, most roads are sloped to the right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Josh_913

Reaction score
First, I would rotate/switch the two front tires temporarily, to eliminate the tires being the cause. You can do this temporarily, even if they are directional tires for testing purposes. If they are new and the problem, you may be able to exchange them at no cost to you. Eliminate the easiest first. Also be aware of road conditions, most roads are sloped to the right.

The tires are brand new and actually just revently had a balancing but i will try that and see if anything changes.

Thanks!

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of the tires could be defective or have conicity from the curing process. Below is a step by step procedure to check all 4 tires. Of course make sure all the tires are inflated equally and within their specified parameters. Hope this helps.

Step 1
Action to be Taken
Rotate the two front tires from side-to-side.

Results
  1. If the vehicle pulls in the opposite direction, the defective tire is one of the front tires.
    (GO TO STEP 2)
  2. If the vehicle pulls in the same direction the problem is either with one of the rear tires or is not a tire-related problem.
    (GO TO STEP 3)
Step 2
Action to be Taken
Rotate the front tire on the side of the car that is in the direction of the pull, to the rear of the car.

Results
  1. If the pull no longer exists or diminishes greatly, the tire that was moved to the rear of the car is the defective tire.
  2. If the pulling does not change, the defective tire is isolated to the front tire that was not moved in Step 2.
Step 3
Action to be Taken
Rotate the two rear tires from side to side.

Results
  1. If the vehicle pulls in the opposite direction, the defective tire is one of the rear tires.
    (GO TO STEP 4)
  2. If the pulling tire does not change, the problem is not tire related.
Step 4
Action to be Taken
Rotate the rear tire on the side of the car that is in the direction of the pull to the front of the car.

Results
  1. If the vehicle pull becomes more severe, the defective tire is isolated to the tire that was rotated to the front of the car.
  2. If the pulling does not change, the defective tire is isolated to the rear tire that was not rotated.
A tire diagnosed as a pulling tire is a manufacturer's defect. The tire is usually covered under warranty only during the first 25% of tread wear. The defect is caused by the belts being incorrectly aligned during manufacture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Josh_913

Reaction score
Just thought id add back to this what i found to be wrong with the truck. I replaced almost all the steering components and wheel hubs i think ive narrowed down the wheel hubs to be the source of the pulling to the right when i pulled the passenger side wheel off the inner bearing nearly completely fell apart

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jack up the front end of the truck and try to free spin the wheels, see if one spins longer/faster, than you may need New wheel bearings