'01 trying to max mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew91KU

Reaction score
I have a 2001 5.4 triton xlt, I'm currently getting 10 mpg city, im paying 600 for a complete tune up but wanted to c what else I can do to get more mpg, I was going to install spectre air flute system bc I heard I could get 2 more mpg but not sure. Looking for any suggestions. I figured maybe putting a chip in it, either way not sure what to get, company wise as well. Any info is helpful

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's probably being done in the tuneup, but if not, I've heard new O2 sensors and spark plugs help a lot. Clean the throttle body...they're probably doing that too. As far as chips go, you can check this out. http://www.bullydog.com/product.php?ID=4. And a new intake and exhast definitely help.

wyo_vr4

Reaction score
10 sounds low but even running perfectly, an Expedition is not going to get much above 12 or 13 mpg around town, even under optimum conditions. That's just the nature of the beast. How long have you been at 10mpg? Did your mileage use to be higher? Do you have any modifications that might be contributing to the problem? Tires and suspension play a part, as do extra weight, a heavy foot, and yes, engine-related issues. See what your mechanic says, maybe get a second opinion, and go from there.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Buy a Edge CS or CTS programmer! go to Edgeproducts.com
If you need a contact for the forum special pricing let me know....300 to 450.00 but it works! Upstream O-2 sensors always help, just dont buy cheap ones...get what you pay for...

Last edited:

BassinFever

Reaction score
I know that this sounds to good to be true, but I just had a flowmaster muffler installed on mine, left the resonator in the back and gained roughly 2 MPG according to the onboard computer! I took a 150 mile round trip before I did it up to see my Grand daughter play basketball and reset it as I hit the Hi-way and averaged 15.5. I took the same trip, drove about the same after I got the Flowmaster and it averaged 17.5. Not scientific by any means but it is averaging 1.5 MPG better all around average every day driving now also. Not too loud, just nice a throaty!

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree that these aren't the best for fuel mileage per se' and generally find that the driver's information console is always off compared to the caluculator for miles burned and gallons to refill computation to be much more telling.

Xtasie

Reaction score
K&N in stock airbox and Flowmaster super 44 swapped in place of original muffler with stock pipes got my mileage from 10.7 to 15.5 in town (according to the computer) during an arizona summer, this mileage lasted my wife up until this march. She is now getting about 9.5, truck is having some issues currently now though.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Andrew, the big thing that is going to affect your mileage is your right foot. To maximize mileage, you should not drive the truck at a constant speed with an engine RPM over 2200 RPM. Kinda like, if you are accelerating, try to position your foot so the RPMs come up to about 2500 and then the truck shifts to the next gear on its own. Are you going to accelerate slower than the car next to you. Of course. But, what do you want, performance or mileage? Playing costs.

Now, with that being said, there are a few things that you can do to maximize your mileage too.

1) freer flowing intake, whether this is a complete new intake or doing the GOTTS mod, either one makes it so the engine has to work less hard to pull the air in, therefore, that more power is transferred to the wheels
2) open up the exhaust a little bit. Notice I said a little bit. Jumping up to dual 3" pipes with a 40 series muffler is going to be great at 4,000 RPM, but is going to kill any in town mileage due to the loss of back pressure. A nice balance that most seem to like is either running dual 2.5" pipes or a single 3" pipe and then putting something equivalent to a Flowmaster 70 or 50 series muffler on.
3) convert over to electric fan. This is good for 6 hp and 8 ft-lbs of gain. The nice thing about this is you gain it at both 5,000 RPM and at 500 RPM (this is unlike most modifications where you only gain it at the top end). You will find that you will have to get into the gas less to get the same acceleration (ie, the motor is not having to move the fan, therefore that power is transferred to the rear wheels).
4) aftermarket computer. I see this as a double edge sword. Yes, if used in a certain way, you can improve your mileage. But at the same time, you decide you want the power, your mileage is going to tank. If you can control your right foot, it can help. If you can't or like to play a lot, this can be hurtful.

This is a good starting point. I have done a lot of playing around with my truck seeing what works and what doesn't. But then, I am also able to still pull 13 mpg with a lifted truck on 37" mud tires.

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like BakerEdition said. Edge programmer by far does the most good. I recently added one to my '98Expy and my town driving improved 3.5 mpg! Best bang for the buck. Taking a 2 week trip in June (1500 mi) and am anxious to see how it does on the highway.