02 5.4 turns over but doesnt start (not fuel pump)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

severedf150

Reaction score
my 2002 expedition 5.4 turns over doesnt start. yes it has fuel pressure at the rail. yes i sprayed fluid into the intake. yes it has spark. I changed the crank sensor and cam sensor. when you listen to the fuel injector with a stethoscope while someone is cranking it over; you hear "click click, pause; click click pause" and so on. I thought it was supposed to be a continuous "click, click, click, click" (I also listened to my running mustang and two other running cars in my driveway and they all constantly clicked)? oh and yes i listened to all the injectors not just one. please help. thank you.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how much fuel pressure do you have 20psi will spray when you push the schrader valve but thats not enough pressure to start a multi point fuel injected engine... pull the codes if its not getting signal from the crank and or cam sensor it will throw a code.... hope this helps

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
were you able to keep it running on fluid if yes its a fuel problem

cwshakey

Reaction score
I know you have tested some of these, this is just my list of things that I check. Maybe one of them will help. Also I am not sure about your 02, but my 06 injectors constantly click.

The most likely causes are:
  • A dead fuel pump (could be the pump, pump relay or wiring circuit);
  • A plugged fuel filter;
  • Low fuel pressure (weak pump or restricted line); or
  • No pulse signal to injectors (bad injector relay or PCM driver circuit).

Condog09

Reaction score
Just because the injectors "click" does not mean it is actually spraying. The clicking sound is the solenoid inside the injector getting power but not nessisarily opening and closing. Pull out the injectors on the rail and place them over/near the port so it will spray into the port and make sure all the injectors are spraying. If they dont replace them, "cleaning" and injector will only buy you time until you have to buy a new one, replacing them is recommended. Also if you have a scanner or have access to a scanner tell me what the fuel trims are when cranking and also other pids if available. Thanks!

dano

Reaction score
no start but crank

Hope you have it fixed my now, but I'm guessing Fuel pump driver module.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Presley98