03-4.6 exhaust and intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stang99gtv8

Reaction score
So I have an 03 expy with 4.6 4x4. It's basically a dog in terms of performance, but works well for the towing I do of a 6x12 enclosed trailer for DJ gigs once or twice a month. What I wonder is if I would notice any real world difference in the mileage and/or performance of my truck by doing a basic intake/exhaust/chip upgrade? I went from a 4.6 99 mustang to a 4.6 expedition, and I know that installing a chip, intake, and exhaust system on that car really made it come alive. Went from running a 14.5 stock with me driving it to a 13.8. I obviously am aware that the huge weight and such differences won't give me some crazy performance boost doing the same things, but it's so quiet right now that It's gotta be restricted as all get out for what that motor CAN sound like.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well just like you said those upgrades will help out but you don't have a speed machine without serious work... but you basics in a CAI and a free flowing exhaust will help and a programmer will be the best bang for your buck for performance gains... either a "canned tuned" programmer such as the Edge CS (which I have and love) or a custom tuned one from PHP or VMP tuning might be better but I didn't have the extra cash or time to wait for a custom one... but right now with the 37s and only a K&N, true duals with rear cat delete and flowmaster 40s and my edge CS on LvL 2 I am averaging 12mpg... stock was 12 city an 16 highway... as my 0-60 is 10.3 and 1/4 is 17.7 @78mph... so not gonna win any drag races but for a "offroad bus" she can move pretty good... next will be 4.88 gears instead of the 3.73... will help a lot... kinda rambled on but hope it helps you decide to mod your expy....

for a cheap intake mod google "Gotts mod"

Last edited:

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes +2 votes for the GOTTS MOD. It's by far the easiest/cheapest biggest bang for the buck mod I've ever done on all my racing and modding cars. It's also been dyno proven (supposedly) on the F150 forum.

Also check out your restricted exhaust "Y" pipe. Ford did a horrible job designing the Y pipe. It looks like an after thought, just slap the pipes together and below average pipe bending. There's a guy on this forum who did an AWESOME job modding it. He went to a local muffler shop. Had them run two seperate pipes all the way from the engine to the muffler. Replaced the HUGE stock muffler with a Flowmaster dual inlet/single outlet. It's also got an X-pipe. Looks beautiful and he claimed it made much better power.

04DrBlur

Reaction score
I also have the very underpowered 4.6 or so I thought... I have been driving with just cold air intake (K&N). Sat I decided before I drive across PA in the mountains I need more power. Bought a Dynomax catback(75 dollar rebate) and a Superchips Flashpak. WOW what a difference. Definitely worth the $$$$.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes +2 votes for the GOTTS MOD. It's by far the easiest/cheapest biggest bang for the buck mod I've ever done on all my racing and modding cars. It's also been dyno proven (supposedly) on the F150 forum.

Also check out your restricted exhaust "Y" pipe. Ford did a horrible job designing the Y pipe. It looks like an after thought, just slap the pipes together and below average pipe bending. There's a guy on this forum who did an AWESOME job modding it. He went to a local muffler shop. Had them run two seperate pipes all the way from the engine to the muffler. Replaced the HUGE stock muffler with a Flowmaster dual inlet/single outlet. It's also got an X-pipe. Looks beautiful and he claimed it made much better power.

I don't suppose there's a link to the proof?

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

if it's going into a 2 in, 1 out, muffler, how does an X-pipe help?