04 Squeaky Half Shaft Boot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwing21

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
This morning while going through a drive thru, I noticed a squeaking noise on the front driver side. I got home and pulled a tire and noticed the half shaft boot furthest back is squeaking. I sprayed the outside of the boot with some silicone lube with no change. On jack stands, the noise went away for a bit then came back. Very strange.

See the video of the noise here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwJqZh05CD8&feature=youtu.be

The boot looks good, no visible cracks etc. Advice?

Thanks!

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have to look when i get off...youtube doesnt work at work

OP
OP
R

rwing21

Reaction score
have to look when i get off...youtube doesnt work at work

Thanks!

After watching the video on Youtube, I noticed that it doesn't sound the same way it does live. On the video, it sounds like it is coming from the front gear box but it is not. Keep in mind, that the sound does randomly go away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rwing21

Reaction score
sorry bruh...no clue

No problem. Thanks for listening. Very strange. I have found some other threads online indicating that this is the first sign that the boot is in it's early failure stage.

I am going to drop it by the transmission shop one day next week and see what they say.

OP
OP
R

rwing21

Reaction score
The transmission shop that I have used in the past is closed for the holidays. Will take it in next week.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you lost any grease out of the CV? I'd bet it is the joint inside the boot squeaking because it has gone dry.