05 expedition xlt just dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, when you turn the key to ON, does the mileage "light up" like normal?

So it cranks, but doesn't start. You don't hear the injectors priming up when you pop the hood, and turn the key to ON, right? Everything else works, right? High beams, low beams, interior lights, power mirrors, stop lights, etc. With the parking brake on, foot on the brake, and key in ON position, can you shift into other gears (just to check if shift interlock works).

With a multimeter, check voltage between fuse 34 and ground. Is it around 12V?

Also, have you made sure to reset the fuel inertia shut off switch (should be in the back, by the tail gate, behind a little door in the trim.)

Here are some wiring diagrams.

enginecontrols542.jpg

enginecontrols54.jpg

Assuming the PCM relay energizes, fuses 32, 33, and 34 should get power. Fuse 34 then leads to give power to the fuel pump, assuming the fuel pump relay is energized.

I'm still confused how, or where the power windows, radio, and moon roof (all under the acc. delayed relay) play in to all this. Could very well be 2 separate issues.

OP
OP
B

Black05Expy

Reaction score
Just curious, when you turn the key to ON, does the mileage "light up" like normal?

So it cranks, but doesn't start. You don't hear the injectors priming up when you pop the hood, and turn the key to ON, right? Everything else works, right? High beams, low beams, interior lights, power mirrors, stop lights, etc. With the parking brake on, foot on the brake, and key in ON position, can you shift into other gears (just to check if shift interlock works).

With a multimeter, check voltage between fuse 34 and ground. Is it around 12V?

Also, have you made sure to reset the fuel inertia shut off switch (should be in the back, by the tail gate, behind a little door in the trim.)

Here are some wiring diagrams.

enginecontrols542.jpg

enginecontrols54.jpg

Assuming the PCM relay energizes, fuses 32, 33, and 34 should get power. Fuse 34 then leads to give power to the fuel pump, assuming the fuel pump relay is energized.

I'm still confused how, or where the power windows, radio, and moon roof (all under the acc. delayed relay) play in to all this. Could very well be 2 separate issues.

I was also wondering if it was two seperate issues. I do hear the injectors priming when I turn the key on(or at least what I believe to be). Yep everything else works on the truck, brake lights, head lights, mirrors, ect. ect. If I put the parking brake on and my foot on the brake it will go through all the gears.

OP
OP
B

Black05Expy

Reaction score
Ok so I checked fuse and it was good but I had to remove the relay above it to get fuse out. So I put it back in as well as the relay tried it just for kicks and it started. Unfortunately my windows, stereo and moon roof still dont work. So the non-starting issue is at least out of the way.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you swap the relay for one of the others ones I listed?

OP
OP
B

Black05Expy

Reaction score
I didn't swap it. All I did is remove it and put it back in. I did swap breaker 401 after it started hoping that was the problem with the windows and radio but no luck there. The r02 relay is the one you believe that's the problem for the windows? I have no #4 relay in my truck to swap so I will have to do it with #5.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it could be relay 2, or fuse 22 since both of those have have windows, moon roof, and radio as common objects.

BTW, just noticed your manual is different than mine, so the info on fuses is on a different page. Page 292 has the locations, page 295 lists fuse 22, and page 298 has the start of list of relays. Which brings me to my next question: If you don't have a #4 relay, that means you don't have rear defrost?

EDIT: If you don't have a manual, or want an electronic copy, go here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Black05Expy

Reaction score
I do have defrost, I forget what my mannual says relay #4 is for and fuse 22 is the one that I checked when I removed the relay and put it back in and it started. I also swapped out breaker 401 I believe it was and still no windows.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your manual says that relay 4 is the rear defrost. At least that is what the electronic copy of the manual from Ford says it is.

OP
OP
B

Black05Expy

Reaction score
You were right I do have relay 4 its relay 2 that my truck doesnt have. Just checked fuse #2 and thats good.