'06 Custom Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CAThrooper

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am planning to build a roof rack on my '06 XLT, either Unistrut or 80/20 Extruded Aluminum framing. The stock rails are plastic and I'd like to be able to load more weight on the rack than I think they can handle so my first step is to decide how to mount it. I was planning on using the existing mounting screws to attach framing directly to the truck, but that was before I removed the existing rails. What I found is that the existing rails are not mounted in a channel as I expected, but actually on the flat, and also that the existing plastic rails have a nice cavity under them where a gasket sits. I'm thinking if I cut the vertical off the existing rails I can drill holes in the base and mount my framing to that. Then no new holes in the truck, no new gasket material, and no fancy metal working. If I do this, I destroy the stock rails so here's my risk mitigation plan:

1. find & cost a spare set at the junk yard before starting
2. post it here and get you all's input!

Do you think mounting to the plastic base of the stock rails will be sturdy enough to mount a heavy duty rack to?

Thanks in advance for your input!

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6409.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

OP
OP
CAThrooper

CAThrooper

Reaction score
OK... so, didn't get any replies to encourage (or discourage!) me, so I made a couple calls to the junk yard and then went at it cutting down the stock rails! After a long weekend of working to get things right, the project is finished and I am really happy with how it turned out! In the end I spent in the neighborhood of $150 (not including all the gas to get me to and from Home Depot 80 times!), and I have a super solid rack that I can configure any way I want. Right now I have my rotopax cans and a Harbor Freight basket (which was a fantastic deal, by the way at under $80, super happy with it), and I intend to carry my shovels, picks and sluice box up North this weekend for a trip with my son. Will upload a few pics in a couple mins. Let me know what you think!

OP
OP
CAThrooper

CAThrooper

Reaction score
Pics of the Jake in his new get up... he feels much more manly even though he now has a nice rack

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg

Mad Oshea

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used 4 Unistruts at 4 inches long, and a bolt in the center to hold the 1 inch conduit out of the crack. The cab is curved forwIMG_0490.JPG ard. (onlt 4 is needed) I used 362 foot of aircraft cable to the base for weight , 100 foot of 1 inch conduit, welded, and 3 sheets of 316 stainless. so I can mount the light bar.

Mad Oshea

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Note; I threw the plasic crap railes away. The Rack is set with cut off stainless toggle bolts, and fill the existing holes with silicone.

Mad Oshea

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Note; I threw the plasic crap railes away. The Rack is set with cut off stainless toggle bolts, and fill the existing holes with silicone.