06 Expedition rustproofing ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ziad_yamin

Reaction score
Hello,

Dealer claims that a 2006 Expedition does not require any rustproofing as it comes already treated against rust right from the factory.

Any comments? What is the situation with rustproofing?

Regards
- Ziad

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there is a pretty good amount of corrosion protection from the factory, but a good undercoading of the area of the panel joints of the floor pan would do some good. That's only if it hasn't seen any road salt yet.... if you have already been in the salt then don't worry about it. Mine has only a few little spots where the floor pans join together but overall that is pretty good considering how much salt it has seen in the chicago winters....

titan97

Reaction score
As a metal finishing chemist, I work with corrosion and corrosion-preventatives on a daily basis. Just about every metal surface on automobiles these days comes with some sort of coating applied before the factory assembles the car. For steel and aluminum parts, this is usually a phosphate conversion coating. The phosphate conversion coating not only retards corrosion, but it provides a porous film for the paint and powdercoating to adhere to. You may have seen some cars from the late 80s and early 90s where the paint came off and you could see a milky grey coating on the steel. This is the conversion coating (but it was older technology).
To answer your question, painting any exposed metal surface is a good idea, but only if it is clean of any salts and grease. Any any areas of the car that are welded may or may not have the conversion coating re-applied.

-Dustin

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep and eye on the rocker pannel seams at the bottom of all the doors, including the rear hatch and the hood. I had all of mine epoxy sealed last year because the paint was starting to blister. Although corrosion protection on vehicles is better that it was years ago, they still can rust. Just keep an eye on things and keep the vehicle clean. I had my 03 Ziebarted last fall. I think it was worth the money.