07 EL monitors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iris

Reaction score
Long time reader (thank you), first time poster.

I've got a PIA 07 EL that i love and need some help so i can get the thing registered and back on the road.

For 3 years it has refused to run the 02 Sensor, O2 Heater, and Catalytic monitors. It doesn't fail them it refuses to run them. I have driven thousands of miles, followed the drive cycle to the T, and had multiple mechanics and Ford dealer techs do the drive cycle with no luck. I've cleared codes, paid a Ford dealer to diagnose, and brought to multiple mechanics and garage "car guys" all with no luck.

Over the 3 years i've replaced the 02 sensors twice (tried factory and aftermarket), ignition coils 3 times (tried factory and after market), spark plugs, replaced both catalytic converters, tested O2 sensor wiring, flashed the PCM, replaced the MAF, and replaced the battery still with no luck.

My garage experience is with my older vehicles (1965 Mustang and F100) so i decided to get dangerous and buy an OBD2 cable and check things out in Forscan.

My questions for you guys are could someone help me interpret the O2 sensor readings and does anyone have any ideas what else to try?

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

iris

Reaction score
I meant to post this yesterday but got side tracked.

Here is a 12 minute video showing all 4 O2 sensors, fuel trims, and RPM for a drive around town. This included driving in a parking lot, stop and go, steady 40mph, and launch to 60mph.

Does anyone see anything wrong? Does everything look correct?

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you seeing a CEL? What code does it throw?

I see a couple of things that concern me. The O2S11 oxygen sensor appears to be slow to respond, at least compared to O2S21. Once the oxygen sensors are heated up and the engine in up to temperature, the upstream O2 sensors should cycle lean/rich quickly, like what you see in O2S21. You see some of that oscillation in O2S11, but it is much slower to respond. You may want to swap sensors and see if the slow sensor repeats when it is in the S21 location.

Similarly, your downstream O2 sensor (O2S12) seems to be moving too much. It should be relatively flat and stable, just like you see in O2S22. This would indicate an issue with your catalytic converter (or an exhaust leak maybe), but I wouldn't worry about it until you diagnose the upstream sensor issue first. Note that the passenger side exhaust manifold on these vehicles are prone to leaking. I believe that FordTechMakuloco has a video on this issue. Other than dealing with the rust exhaust manifold bolts, this is a fairly easy repair made through the wheel well.

Related to the O2 sensor issue above, your long term fuel trims seem abnormal. Bank 1 and Bank 2 are fairly far apart. I would expect them to be much closer together. This is probably due to the poor (slow) reading by the O2S11 sensor causing the engine computer to mess with the fuel trim. Again, diagnose the upstream O2 sensor issue and fix that first.

OP
OP
I

iris

Reaction score
First, thank you very much for your response! I'm trying to learn these computerized cars and these reading made no sense to me, it's not like tuning a carb by ear.

No CEL the entire 3 years i've been working on this.

Are O2S11 and O2S12 bad enough that they should be throwing a code?

I will swap the sensors, inspect for exhaust leak today and watch FordTechMakuloco's video and inspect.