08 Randomly Stalls out??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigChinook

Reaction score
Trying to figure out this frustrating issue; Driving along and its like the key gets shut off and the engine quits and comes to a stop. I wait 15 seconds and it starts right back up like nothing ever was wrong. Does it randomly in different weather conditions and speed; Does seem to do it more when it's really cold outside. Any thoughts? I know earlier models had issues with the fuel relay A lady at work who drives an 04 had the same problem and they changed out her box asy - fuel relay. But the part no. is different for the 08?

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm no electrical genius but at minimum I would remove and reseat every fuse and ever relay in the two fuse boxes, checking each fuse as well as checking for burnt or corroded terminals.

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think your year has the relay problem. That was first generations around 2002-2004 or so. Their are many articles with similar problems like yours. As we all have stated you or a tech needs to run a Dtc codes test, to see if anything pops up. Second I would do a fuel pressure test, it sounds more electrical related than fuel, but you never know. Do you have another chip key you can try? Does it sputter and die? Or like turning a wall switch off? All at once. Keep us posted what you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue. Fuel pump wires had shorted out and must have been arcing together so it ran again for a while then died again.

1206161240.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's why I suggested fuel pressure test when it dies. He's got a very narrow window to check. Did yours sputter and die? Or die like turning off key.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait for it to happen again. If it restarts after 15 secs, then its not much of a problem. But if it stops while you're at the freeway, or leaves you stranded for a longer period, then you have to determine whether it is a fuel delivery or an electrical problem. Bring along a can of starting fluid and spray into the intake. If it wants to run, then you have a fuel issue. Go from there.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with most of the stall outs on these years, is they stall out at the worst time, with no power steering, no brakes, and the wife driving. Figure it out now, before a loved one gets hurt, or worse. Cars/trucks rarely breakdown at a convenient time.

OP
OP
B

BigChinook

Reaction score
I don't think your year has the relay problem. That was first generations around 2002-2004 or so. Their are many articles with similar problems like yours. As we all have stated you or a tech needs to run a Dtc codes test, to see if anything pops up. Second I would do a fuel pressure test, it sounds more electrical related than fuel, but you never know. Do you have another chip key you can try? Does it sputter and die? Or like turning a wall switch off? All at once. Keep us posted what you find.

Does not sputter at all, just dies like you turned the key off. While the truck comes to a stop, I usually put it in neutral and wait for it to stop, turn the key off, count to 10, then it starts right back up and take off. It's happened on the highway and at slower speeds and at idle. It's never stranded me but I know it's probably coming.

Are the fuel pump wires inside the gas tank? (to check for arching or burnt terminals)

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes mr. Moose you are right. These trucks become very difficult to steer once theres no power assist.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to simulate the problem. Wiggle all connectors, relays and fuses to see if the problem reccurs. Also feel for any hot areas in wirings especially near the ignitipn switch.