09 worn paint pass. Air bag trim.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe m

Reaction score
Hello all, thanks in advance for this active forum

Just bought a 09 limited, interior trim code 2L.
The passenger airbag trim, just above glove box, has wear marks probably from passenger putting feet up... The paint seems to be worn and black dots are showing through. Anyone tackle this project yet? Tried buying trim at salvage yard but it's actually part of the airbag.

Thanks

OP
OP
J

Joe m

Reaction score
Just get some matching paint.

Thanks For advice.... Problem is Ford stopped selling matching paint... I don't want to try and try and try until I get right tint,,, was hoping someone here had already figured out best way to do this..

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks For advice.... Problem is Ford stopped selling matching paint... I don't want to try and try and try until I get right tint,,, was hoping someone here had already figured out best way to do this..
Go to your local hardware store, they can mix and match, then let a sample dry on something of close to the same color as the dash.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My brother=in-law used to know a guy that used a piece of glass to match paints.

Spray the color on the glass, let it dry a bit, hold it up/over the paint and see how it looked. Not right? Use some thinner/solvent to remove the paint, dry the glass, clean it, spray a modified color on it and hold it up there again.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Touched up my steering wheel and passenger air bag cover. Used Valspar color called Mink Stole CI59. Matched really well. Just Valspar interior satin latex paint sample I got from Lowes. Cost about $3.50
IMG_20200228_153012.jpg

OP
OP
J

Joe m

Reaction score
Just get some matching paint.

Thanks For advice.... Problem is for stopped selling matching paint... I don't want to try and try and try until I get right tint,,, was hoping someone here had already figured out best way to do this..
Touched up my steering wheel and passenger air bag cover. Used Valspar color called Mink Stole CI59. Matched really well. Just Valspar interior satin latex paint sample I got from Lowes. Cost about $3.50
View attachment 35160

wow, steering wheel looks great.. is that a spray or did you brush it on?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to a dedicated paint store (small towns don't have them), ask to borrow sample sheets near that color (might have to give a deposit), take out and match to dash (they might come out for you), and get small amount. …………..done

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's the paint I used. Just go with thin coats and build it up. And a before and after steering wheel shot. The steering wheel was kinda rough and required sanding and reshaping.IMG_20200226_163712.jpg IMG_20200226_163716.jpg IMG_20200228_140939.jpg Steering Wheel.jpg