10r80 trans fluid level check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BC19

Reaction score
How do I check the trans fluid level on my 2019 fx4 expedition? Where should the fluid be on the dipstick? Thank you

kryichek

Reaction score
How do I check the trans fluid level on my 2019 fx4 expedition? Where should the fluid be on the dipstick? Thank you

I would like to know the correct dipstick reading on a 2021 expedition. Ive read between 5 and 6 and and between 3 and 5. I'm having a hard time tracking this down

BC19 The dipstick on on the passenger side of the transmission. You need to crawl under and most likely burn yourself to check it. Very stupid of Ford to do this.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There should be an indicator on the dipstick. The fluid needs to be at operating temperature, as it will expand when hot. And yes, Ford doesn't build anything for ease of repair, just ease of assembly. Service is a big chunk of dealership revenue.

kryichek

Reaction score
@JasonH thanks for responding. I've attached another innovation from Ford. This is what my dipstick looks like. Numbers, circles and diamonds.

Attachments

• dipstick.jpg
    dipstick.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 17

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope this helps. Source below.

Attachments

• 10R80.png
    10R80.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 23

kryichek

Reaction score
@JasonH. Thank you that was very help. That thread had a PDF attached which was helpful. Even though its for a 2019 F150 I cant imagine its different for the Expedition since its the same transmission. Looks like 5 to 6 for me.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@JasonH. Thank you that was very help. That thread had a PDF attached which was helpful. Even though its for a 2019 F150 I cant imagine its different for the Expedition since its the same transmission. Looks like 5 to 6 for me.
Glad to be of assistance. I posted the link so you could see where the image came from.

OP
OP
B

BC19

Reaction score
Thank you, I’ve been searching for the correct level the trans fluid should be at for a while. I replaced my trans at 115000 and over filled it . I believe I had it at the 3 mark. Drive fine until I towed my RV. Trans blew fluid out the vent on top and over heated. I have since corrected the level and everything is good. Just made a 8 hour trip towing with no issues.