New TSB for CDF drum, 10R60/10R80/10R80 MHT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This happens with every automatic transmission if the vehicle is parked incorrectly. In the photo you can see how the parking position of the automatic transmission prevents the vehicle from rolling away.
The correct way to park a vehicle in an incline is to stop in D or R, stay on the brake, activate the parking brake, slowly take your foot off the brake and only then set the automatic transmission to the P position. This way, the entire weight of the vehicle is not on the pawl (#10 in the Picture). To drive away again, stand on the foot brake, switch the automatic from P to D or R and only then release the parking brake.
This way, your automatic transmission will remain undamaged for a long time

+1 x a million times.

OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
This happens with every automatic transmission if the vehicle is parked incorrectly. In the photo you can see how the parking position of the automatic transmission prevents the vehicle from rolling away.
The correct way to park a vehicle in an incline is to stop in D or R, stay on the brake, activate the parking brake, slowly take your foot off the brake and only then set the automatic transmission to the P position. This way, the entire weight of the vehicle is not on the pawl (#10 in the Picture). To drive away again, stand on the foot brake, switch the automatic from P to D or R and only then release the parking brake.

This is the procedure I follow every time I park even on the slightest of inclines. Watching (or feeling) a vehicle roll back and bounce on the parking pawl is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

One nice thing about the Auto Hold feature (if you have it turned on) is that when you later restart the engine with your foot on the brake, you can put the transmission into R or D and when you let off of the brake there is no 'clunk' or roll b/c the brakes are holding for you. So, at least there's that I guess. :/

20Expy

Reaction score
That makes sense I guess, but I wonder what Toyota did differently on our 2016 Rav4 6-speed as well as all our previous Toyotas that would never ever clunk and jerk no matter how hard you are on the parking pawl.

20Expy

Reaction score
This is the procedure I follow every time I park even on the slightest of inclines. Watching (or feeling) a vehicle roll back and bounce on the parking pawl is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

One nice thing about the Auto Hold feature (if you have it turned on) is that when you later restart the engine with your foot on the brake, you can put the transmission into R or D and when you let off of the brake there is no 'clunk' or roll b/c the brakes are holding for you. So, at least there's that I guess. :/
Unfortunately for us, a simple piece of software that Ford didn't include in the pre-facelift 2020 model. The car is totally capable of it, we tried by engaging radar cruise when stopped on a hill and it would hold the car just like the auto hold feature! The electronic parking brake too!

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That makes sense I guess, but I wonder what Toyota did differently on our 2016 Rav4 6-speed as well as all our previous Toyotas that would never ever clunk and jerk no matter how hard you are on the parking pawl.
Are they holding 10klbs of weight and capable of 400 plus lbs of torque through the transmission? Different design.

Every truck I’ve had (albeit not many) has this ‘Issue’. Cars, generally not so much.