Trans dipstick screw in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheVI

Reaction score
Hi
So used the search to check threads in the 2018+ forums but did not see anything on this
My understanding is the trans fluid level indicator in underneath on the pass side. With the timberline not sure if skid plates need to be removed to check, and with rotator cuff surgery I had in march, still not able to bear a lot of weight on arm to crawl under there yet.

If this is the location, is there any adapter you can add to these to check the level from engine bay?

If there is a fluid dipstick in engine bay, apologies as I sure didn’t see it.

Thanks in advance

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi
So used the search to check threads in the 2018+ forums but did not see anything on this
My understanding is the trans fluid level indicator in underneath on the pass side. With the timberline not sure if skid plates need to be removed to check, and with rotator cuff surgery I had in march, still not able to bear a lot of weight on arm to crawl under there yet.

If this is the location, is there any adapter you can add to these to check the level from engine bay?

If there is a fluid dipstick in engine bay, apologies as I sure didn’t see it.

Thanks in advance

I’m not aware of any extension that can be added to enable the checking of the fluid from the engine bay.

There are specific temperature requirements for the transmission fluid when it is checked, using the small dipstick underneath - to avoid an under or over fill situation.

OP
OP
TheVI

TheVI

Reaction score
I’m not aware of any extension that can be added to enable the checking of the fluid from the engine bay.

There are specific temperature requirements for the transmission fluid when it is checked, using the small dipstick underneath - to avoid an under or over fill situation.
Thanks
So with the fluid level, are there any fluid level alerts or strictly temp

Thanks again for the responses, really like this forum and it’s members…

OP
OP
TheVI

TheVI

Reaction score
That's correct, there is a tiny plastic dipstick on the passenger's side of the transmission, underneath the truck. Check out this video: https://youtu.be/p96a8_MPwyM?t=1198

You could get something like this if you wanted to add a dipstick in the engine bay: https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/transmission_pans_and_accessories/dipsticks/parts/2
Thank you,
Something I would take to my mechanic or Ford to install. With the trans and the threads around how it works and possible issues, really my goal is to stay ahead of anything so adding a method to quickly check fluid level seems like a good start. This is perfect thanks for posting the link.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve been down this road and there is nothing out there to make it possible to check the transmission fluid level easily.

After just having the dealership overfill my tranny by a lot which resulted in overheat and fluid hemorrhaging from the relief vent I can testify there are no warning lights or bells to let you know when the level is incorrect.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve seen a few people add this to the current 10 speeds and previous 6 speeds and it works. I’d do it if it wasn’t so expensive but I’m able to get under the truck often enough to check the fluid with the stubby dipstick.