1997 lean condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score
crown: Hope your weather's better than ours (-10 wind chill) or you've got that '97 in a warm garage. Let us know what you discover.

OP
OP
C

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It decided to turn off cold again here yesterday! I'll give it a couple of days to warm back up some since I am working outside lol. Wind chill here this morning was in single digits! High is only supposed to 28 but in this 50s this weekend thankfully!

This vehicle is not our main ride ad we have have a 2002 EB Expy and a 98 F150 as well so it can wait a few days

OP
OP
C

crowncrazy87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Started thread in the engine forum for anyone following this! Seems it may be a bigger issue but I hope not!

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I found an exhaust who wasn't going to take me to the cleaners and had him clear out the upstream cat and put in a new Magnaflow downstream one on the passenger side. When I went to pick up the truck I asked him "how bad was it clogged"? He said it was already cleared. I asked if it had all gathered at the second Cat he said it was cleared as well. He said all the material had gathered at the muffler so he cut it off and dumped all the material out of it. Was really bad. Good thing is it has power now and mileage is up 2mpg +.Now just need to do other side

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Edin

Reaction score
Hi guys
I’m new here. I have exactly same issue with lean condition and no power no acceleration. Could be a cat’s?

Thx
Ed

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it absolutely could be. Take it to an exhaust guy have him do a back pressure test. They usually do it for free.

Edin

Reaction score
Yes it absolutely could be. Take it to an exhaust guy have him do a back pressure test. They usually do it for free.

I would like to if is free. I try to check back pressure but everything is rusty and old I cannot remove my O2 sensors. I think is still OEM. Honestly I updated many things things. I have cat’s and fuel pump. But pressure is ok 32psi 38psi when I remove vacuum from FPR at idle and 40psi when I driving.
And yes I checked IR gun temperature is different 150 and 120 degrees back of cat’s are colder

Last edited:

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel pressure is right on the money, so rule that out. When I had mine done passenger side was the worst of the two. When he took it apart both Cats had broken apart and all the debris had gone to the muffler and clogged IT completely.

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you check the cats?