1999 5.4 engine insight and thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markanthony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 99 with a 5.4. It started mis firing the other day. We were pulling our tent trailer home from caming when it started. I replaced the cop with new boot, plug, and injector on the number 3 plug. The code pops as po303. I am getting wonderful spark from out of the cop.When I pull the cop off while running there is no change from the engine. I will be doing a compression test tomarrow.
There also is a light "tick" up near the head, like a lifter tick. I had an old ford that always ticked and never had no problems with it. I am thinking that it may have a bad lifter

beyond a comp test. What else can be making it miss?

In pre planning to replace the engine. Do I get a used 120k engine, or go for broke and get a manny engine?

I do alot of towing. So I am leaning towards a manny performance long block with PI heads.

I have close to 180.000 on the clock. I am also lookin to try to bypass the plug issue.

brockncole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check that your plugs are the correct torque. I have blown out a plug in my old PU and there was a little tick and after I got it fixed it was gone.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Willing to bet the compression test will tell all. (assuming you are using a differential test)

If you plan on keeping the truck for 2 or 3 years, I'd opt for the long block.

OP
OP
markanthony

markanthony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I happened to luck out. a buddy of mine just brought me his expy with 95k miles on the clock, told me to take the engine. He wants to replace it with a high powered torque monster. So I will put it in mine. I know the history of the truck, since he bought it new. See how it goes....