1999 - Can crack be fixed without welding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 1999 developed a stress crack in the area where the driver side liftgate strut connects to the frame. Over the last year+, I've contacted almost every shop in the area that mentions welding and none are interested in the job.

So, how to get the liftgate functional again? Could I fasten a plate over the bad area with something like jack nuts? That may be a terrible idea, I don't know, and I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has a better one.

liftgate crack.jpg

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would want to drill the ends of the cracks to stop the propagation of the crack. Can you get behind the crack or is it in the blind? I can't imagine at least one good welding shop that cant butt weld the crack. Maybe a larger washer under the bracket could spread the stress.

OP
OP
jr1under

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plenty of shops in the area are capable of handling this but none of them wanted to and I don't really fault them. Mine is a small, unusual job and they're booked solid with much more profitable work.

Can't get behind the crack. As you said, spreading the stress is the key so I trimmed a piece of thin steel plate to fit over the area where the crack is. Drilled a hole for the existing connector and fastened the new plate to the original with 3/4" #10 self-drilling bolts. It's solid now but no predictions for how long that remains true.