1999 Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking at a 1999 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with only 70K miles. Is there anything specific I should look for? The truck is a Georgia truck, so there is no rust on it, but I am not sure what else can go wrong. I have read on here about the transfer case, and that seemed OK - although it was hard to "test" the 4x4 during the test drive.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hank

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it... posted in the New Members Forum.
Is there a list of stuff that should be done a new (to me) Expo to ensure longevity? When I had my mustangs, I always did my own work.
I have seen a lot of "issues" with plugs backing out. ... the plug issue makes me a little nervous. Should I just take off the COP and ensure plugs are at proper torque specs (if so - what are those???).
Fluids: plan on changing oil and filter, but should I also change front and rear differentials, as well as the transfer case?
Noises: I get some whining when I crank the steering wheel hard to either direction - sounds like power steering pump. What is the replacement concept on this one? Is there a way to check and see if it can be "saved"?
Anything else???

Hammer

SWAGGA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing I always do religiously when looking at used vehicles... turn the key to ON but don't start the vehicle to ensure all bulbs are working properly: check engine, abs, 4x4, etc. If the bulbs aren't working, likely something is wrong and they chose to bust the bulb rather than fix it.

OP
OP
H

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got back from the mechanic. Here is what they found:
Everything looked really good under the truck and on top of the truck. There was some minor leaking from the rear speed sensor on transfer case. That was really about it - rear brakes were low. They did recommend the following:
1. Transmission Service (flush and fill) (~$220)
2. Transfer Case Drain and Fill (~$85)
3. Front and Rear Diff Drain and Fill (~$120 / ~$185)
4. Rear Brakes (~$200)

The bad: There is a torque converter shudder... thought is try to do the trans flush and fill, add an additive, and then see if the shudder is due to the clutches needing to be lubed up (truck did sit some). If that does not work, looking at $1000 or so for a new torque converter... :doh2: - so much for saving money on a used car...

Anyone have any thoughts on this??? How easy is it for me to do the transfer case and diffs (I think the rear diff has to have the cover removed)...

HELP!

Hammer

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69