1st to 3rd Gear Ten Speed 10r80 transmission shift slip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 2018 Expedition Max Ford Certified with 64k mikes. I drove a few before this one and all we’re 2019’s or older. I noticed all shift from 1st to 3rd gears skipping second on light throttle acceleration in Normal or Eco mode but what bothers me is when the trans enters 3rd it slips a clutch or rides the torque converter like it shifted too early and doesn’t want the driver to feel a lugging engine if it fully locked into third gear. The RPMs then begin to climb after a few seconds in third after I feel it slip slightly as it goes through third then it shifts to 4th, 5th or maybe 6th. To me, it’s a lot of slip to smoothen out what seems to be too early of a shift to third and it should have just took 2nd and it’s trying to smoothen the shift with a designed slip. I don’t mind the gear skipping, it’s the 3rd gear slip that’s worrying since I can’t see how it won’t wear something out over time. Does everyone else’s transmission shift like this? Do the owners of 2020’s and later of the forum feel something different? Maybe Ford has newer trans software on the later cars? I currently use Sport mode and that shifts through every gear and firmly shifts into each gear with no slip and I like it but sometimes I’d like it not to hold the gears so much (stays in 6th all the way until about 55mph) and save some fuel. At heavy throttle, there’s no slip in any gears and no skipping 2nd so it’s seems to be something in the programming with skipping 2nd in Normal / Eco mode to smoothen the 3rd gear shift on light throttle.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your car CPO certified? I just bought my 18 at 59,9xx and it was Ford Gold Certified, I purchased the Ford extended warranty to 140k miles for 2 grand online……seemed like really cheap insurance for that many more miles of driving. That way if the trans goes, it’s covered. Mine skips every other gear it seems like, If you’re only the throttle lightly.

OP
OP
B

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. It is Gold Certified but would you have the link or site name for extension online? I went to FordProtect.Ford.Com but it informs no quote is available.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 2018 Expedition Max Ford Certified with 64k mikes. I drove a few before this one and all we’re 2019’s or older. I noticed all shift from 1st to 3rd gears skipping second on light throttle acceleration in Normal or Eco mode but what bothers me is when the trans enters 3rd it slips a clutch or rides the torque converter like it shifted too early and doesn’t want the driver to feel a lugging engine if it fully locked into third gear. The RPMs then begin to climb after a few seconds in third after I feel it slip slightly as it goes through third then it shifts to 4th, 5th or maybe 6th. To me, it’s a lot of slip to smoothen out what seems to be too early of a shift to third and it should have just took 2nd and it’s trying to smoothen the shift with a designed slip. I don’t mind the gear skipping, it’s the 3rd gear slip that’s worrying since I can’t see how it won’t wear something out over time. Does everyone else’s transmission shift like this? Do the owners of 2020’s and later of the forum feel something different? Maybe Ford has newer trans software on the later cars? I currently use Sport mode and that shifts through every gear and firmly shifts into each gear with no slip and I like it but sometimes I’d like it not to hold the gears so much (stays in 6th all the way until about 55mph) and save some fuel. At heavy throttle, there’s no slip in any gears and no skipping 2nd so it’s seems to be something in the programming with skipping 2nd in Normal / Eco mode to smoothen the 3rd gear shift on light throttle.
I don't have a gen 4, I have a 2017 with factory 6R80(6 speeds) and it does the same slip from 2nd to 3rd. It's the trans software. I use the tow mode and it doesn't slip 2nd-3rd, only in the normal mode.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The certificates (documents) for all the aftermarket ford warranties are on Lombard Ford's website. They also sell the warranties at pretty good prices.

Lghtspeedz

Reaction score
My '20 Limited does this. Most of the cars I test drove did this. I think it's programed to shift early for fuel economy but they let the torque converter apply some slippage to keep the RPM's in a more optimal range. It's almost CVT like. I don't love it, but i've gotten used to it. If you get into the throttle a little more it doesn't happen as much because all the RPM's are a bit higher. I can't comment on wear and tear or longevity with this transmission mapping. I will say that I noticed the same shift patterns in Sport mode and since RPM's are generally way to high I don't use it much.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to look at the thread starter to see if I wrote this and forgot, lol.
I have the same exact issue and thoughts as you. The bottom range is so dead and then speed picks up way too quick. Sport mode is a little too responsive and the engine braking is a little excessive for an SUV but I'll take it over the normal driving mode.