2 amp every 34 seconds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65comet

Reaction score
I'm guessing it is something with the factory theft control in my 2005. When everything is shut down and I put the charger on the battery, every 34 seconds there is a 2 amp draw on my charger gauge for about 2 seconds. Overnight that constant on/off draw drains the battery and it will be dead in the morning unless I disconnect the negative terminal when I get home. I ran to Advance Auto yesterday and they hooked up their tester. Starter draws 10 amps during start. Alternator putting out 14 amps. Battery rated at 850 cold amps had 800 for the tester.
Before I turn myself upside down in the passenger seat so the doors can be closed to put my voltage/amp tester across every fuse to see which circuit it is taking that 2 amps through, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

OP
OP
65comet

65comet

Reaction score
Argh, never mind. It was the rear wiper locked up. Two years ago it was locked up and I put new grease in then, so I was sure that wasn't the problem this time. But I opened the hatch and tried to give it a swing. Was hard to move, then the motor ran through a cycle and parked itself. No more 2 amp draw every 34 seconds of it trying to park itself. This time I'm going to use boat trailer axle grease made for the axles going under water. Hopefully I'll never have a problem with it again.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First you need to learn better troubleshooting skills and how to take a parasitic drain test. The fact that your starter draws 10 amps and your alternator is putting out 14 amps has nothing to do with your battery going dead under normal conditions like engine off and key off and removed. The fact that you charger cycles for a few seconds does not tell you the amp draw on the battery what it does show you is the output of the charger.

Find out haw to do a parasitic drain test and when you have the results post them and you will get some good advice on what to look for and how to proceed to solve your problem

Every time that you disconnect the battery for an extended time the PCM needs to go thru its relearning process. and the only code you will receive during that time is a P1000 which is Drive cycle incomplete

Last edited:
OP
OP
65comet

65comet

Reaction score
Well bedrock, I know how to test, I just am having a little trouble doing so right now. I was in an accident. The tendon from my right knee cap snapped at the tibia and the tendon from my left knee cap was so strong that it just pulled the bone out of that tibia. Both knee caps were shattered and about a third of each were removed because of the small pieces and the remainder screwed, pinned and sutured back together. I was looking for some ideas before I spent the painful time doing the real trouble shooting. Most of my tools aren't where I can access from a walker in the garage and I had to wait on a helper to fetch what I need. You usually give great advice and I was a bit disappointed in your immediate assumption that I need to learn better troubleshooting skills when the charger was the only thing I had access to at the time. I didn't want to write a book about my situation (which I feel I am doing now) I was just hoping for a couple of quick ideas from others experiences to cut down my time of having to be on my feet. Not wanting to go into the details originally with how I used the charger as my first testing instrument, I will do so now.
The terminals had been cleaned a couple of weeks previous in preparation for winter, and I gave them a attempted twist to see if they were tight, which they were. When I first connected the charger it was maxing out and then after a few seconds, would have an extra draw that would set off the internal breaker. I now know that was the rear wiper attempting to do a cycle to closed position. But at the time without access to any of my meters I thought it was a short of some kind. So I disconnected the battery terminals and did a long charge that ran normally. I reconnected the battery. Putting the negative terminal on gave just the tiny normal spark and not the large one I should see if there was a short. It started up fine. I had my laptop brought out and hooked it up. Of course all the old codes were gone, but I didn't see anything come up for all the checks I could think of. That is when it went to Advance Auto and had them do the testing I mentioned. Things seemed ok. Since my stepson had been driving it, I figured he must have left something on and that is why the battery went dead. The next morning, dead battery. Charger acted the same so I charged the battery disconnected. After it was charged and reconnected, I put the charger on the connected battery to see what would happen. That was when I saw the 2 amp spike every 34 seconds. I turned off the charger and went inside for an hour so that the PCM and sensors would have their normal time to do their checks and maybe they were the cause of the draw. Charger back on, the draw continued. I wondered if it was related to the theft system and dismissed the rear wiper having worked on it a couple of years ago. Came inside and posted hoping for some help. My legs were killing me at that point. I decided I'd still take a look at the wiper. Opened the window hatch and a few seconds later, the motor cycled. The arm moved by hand but wasn't the easy movement it should have been. Looked at the charger and no more draws every 34 seconds. I didn't try turning on the wiper to see if it worked well or wasn't going all the way back to the stop position, I just took apart the wiper. The gold colored grease I had used was basically gone. It had a circle of corrosion about midway inside the shaft. I scrapped it all out and then used red grease this time. I myself haven't driven it for a couple of years, so it hasn't had the thorough and timely checks that it should. Like trying to move the wiper arm with the glass hatch open. A wash every two weeks instead of once a year. A stepson living in the basement, driving my Expedition instead of me is a different story. Solving that would probably lead to divorce and my losing the Expedition and house anyway.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to insult you but when you put a charger on a battery it does not read amp draw what it does read is the amount of charge being put into the battery. The only way you could see how many amps are being drawn from the battery is by putting a Amp meter is series with one of the battery leads. Hence my statement that you need to learn better troubleshooting skills. A battery charger is used to charge a battery it is not a amp meter although it has a amp meter on the charger and that is to show the amount of charge being delivered to the battery. So what you were seeing was as the rear wiper was drawing current to try and park the charger was replacing the current being used. Again having good troubleshooting skills and you would have known this.

I do thank you for your comment about me giving advice and I do try my best to give good advice which I believe I did for you based on the information you provided.

It is always best to use the correct equipment to test circuits and a battery charger is not a piece of test equipment.

Your statement
" I turned off the charger and went inside for an hour so that the PCM and sensors would have their normal time to do their checks and maybe they were the cause of the draw."

The PCM will not do its checks even if you had let the Expy sit for hours, days or weeks. The only way the PCM can do its checks is to be driven. The Drive cycle must complete. That is why you would have had a P1000 code after reconnecting the battery.

Again my intent was not to insult you but rather to inform you that your way of troubleshooting was wrong and you need to improve it "Before (you) turn (yourself) upside down"

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI - a short to ground is not limited to low amperage and time cycles. The short will allow max battery current to flow until something burns and opens the circuit. The 2 amp draw is usually something small, a relay or light bulb.

Although an internal short will usually have a constant draw that is higher than normal and may not always trip circuit breakers or fuses.

I guess in this case, the moral of the story is to have your meters at hand?

Last edited:

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry about your injury and other issues, but there's no way anyone on here would be able to tell that it wasn't easy for you to walk into your garage and get a meter and hook it up to check draw.. :)

Anyway, problem solved and I hope your injury will heal well.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a dumb question. You said your alternator reading was 14 amps! Correct me if I'm wrong but don't expedition's have 70 to 100 amp alternators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What he said was when he had everything checked the Alternator
WAS PUTTING OUT 14 amps.

That would be normal and depends on the load that was placed on the alternator