2 new sounds (1. Engine bay and 2. Front Blower)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2005 Expedition XLT - 197K Miles
Was my daily driver, son has been driving for last 6 months.

First is coming from engine bay whether AC is running or not.

Second is coming from cabin, if blower is on 2, no noise. If blower changed to 3, a loud noise starts, if blower is changed to 4, noise is much louder. Happens whether AC is on or off.

Trying to post recordings, but file upload wont allow.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pull the cabin air filter to see if there is something in the duct. For that fact 4 bolts and you can pull the blower and look at it and the duct work around it.
As for under the hood first thing i would check is the serpentine belt tensioner

OP
OP
I
Reaction score
Pull the cabin air filter to see if there is something in the duct. For that fact 4 bolts and you can pull the blower and look at it and the duct work around it.
As for under the hood first thing i would check is the serpentine belt tensioner

Thanks for the feedback. I didnt think the 2005 had a cabin air filter. I replaced the serpentine belt tensioner a few years ago, maybe the advance auto product is failing again.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you ever had the timing chains and guides and oil pump replaced ? The blower noise is probably a bad bearing as mentioned. Replacing the blower isn't too hard.

2nd Gen Expedition HVAC Blower Replacement :

OP
OP
I
Reaction score
Have you ever had the timing chains and guides and oil pump replaced ? The blower noise is probably a bad bearing as mentioned. Replacing the blower isn't too hard.

2nd Gen Expedition HVAC Blower Replacement :

Thanks for this video, very helpful. Have not had any work done inside the engine (other than 2 rounds of spark plug changes - but I dont really count that as inside engine).

OP
OP
I
Reaction score

Just checked repair history, it was the idler pulley which was replaced, not the belt tensioner. I'll check that tomorrow.