2000 4r100 torque converter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently purchased a remand 4R100 trans, I’m dumb and installed trans without filling torque converter, I’ve read that you can start engine and let run til it fills converter????? Is this correct or do I need to pull trans and fill before running??? Any help would be greatly appreciated

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry. I did a full trans and torque converter drain and fill about 6 months back. I added about 8 quarts then fired it up, I added a quart at a time until I got to about 12. My fluid level is right between the hash marks, and has been shifting fine. Mine also is 2000, with 4r100. I used Mercon V not the Mercon that the owners book calls for. I had the dealer flush my old fluid at 70k, I did my fluid drain and fill at 100k. If you can, draining the transmission cooler before you start with the fill will clear out the small amount in there, and in the lines. The Mercon 5 or V is a semi synthetic. I purchased the oil from Ford, not an aftermarket brand, just to keep all fluids the same, and it's a good quality fluid. Hope that helps you.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk