2000 Expedition Rehab or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robayb

Reaction score
With the price of trucks today I feel this is a legitimate question.

I would like to get a general opinion on whether someone (myself) should invest money in rehabbing a 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition.

I should say that I am not a mechanic and would not be doing any of this work myself.
I'm thinking I wouldn't touch the motor or transmission at this point and just look at body, total suspension and a little interior work.

I have no idea of cost but was hoping to get away with $5-8 k total cost. This would be considered a partial rehab I suppose.

These are my general thoughts:

a. Truck body is in very good condition, no damage and only a little rust in the lower body panels. Truck has been undercoated for at least 10 of its 21 years

b. Interior is excellent with only minor work to be done

c. Still on the road today with 180 K, runs good and I have maintained it when needed. A little knock when cold but engine seems good and my mechanic said this model year has a great engine. 8 cyl 5.4 liter. I think the engine could easily go another 50k.

I'm sure I'm not painting a complete picture here but any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this is a valid question given the price of used vehicles, as you pointed out. My concern would be getting parts for it. I can't even get parts for my 2014.

Interestingly, all these people on You Tube are able to fix up cars from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and can get any parts they want.

I'm amazed though at how many first gen Expeditions I see on the road still.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can’t get parts for your 2014?!?!? Huh, haven’t had any problems- but I also haven’t needed to buy (many) parts. Are you sure they are unavailable or just a shortage due to this stupid covid?

I had a 2000 Eddie Bauer (see link in signature) that I bought with barely fewer miles than the OP currently has. I drove it up to 263k mikes and sold it to a guy who is still driving it. I had some issues with radiators that ultimately led me to selling it. Good truck otherwise. You can read about a lot of my adventures in and out of the garage in that link.

In conclusion, at 180k miles, keep the oil changed and clean and replace parts as needed. Drive it for another 5+ years. Make monthly truck payments to a separate savings account that you can use for a downpayment when the time does come to get something different- this will take the sting out of buying.

Plati

Reaction score
You can’t get parts for your 2014?!?!? Huh, haven’t had any problems- but I also haven’t needed to buy (many) parts. Are you sure they are unavailable or just a shortage due to this stupid covid?
Must be talking about supply chain issues. Few weeks ago was unable to find a (2014) tranny filter locally so didn't do a tranny fluid change. I wanted a FoMoCo air filter ... few week lead time, etc.

Definite unavailability of parts for the old Expys. Try to find those obscure parking brake parts or some power steering components. The gas fill tube. I'm sure there are many more.

Last edited:

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2014 is at the body shop (rear ended) and they (and Geico) can't find the parts needed to repair it. Geico said it's supply chain issues due to Covid, body shop said they regularly have problems getting parts from Ford. It's been 38 days. I don't know what (or who) exactly is the problem, but it sure is a drag to not have our car for so long...
I called Ford and they have no ETA as to when the parts will be available. One dealership told me likely August or September.

OP
OP
R

Robayb

Reaction score
My 2014 is at the body shop (rear ended) and they (and Geico) can't find the parts needed to repair it. Geico said it's supply chain issues due to Covid, body shop said they regularly have problems getting parts from Ford. It's been 38 days. I don't know what (or who) exactly is the problem, but it sure is a drag to not have our car for so long...
I called Ford and they have no ETA as to when the parts will be available. One dealership told me likely August or September.
This is definitely something for me to consider.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I’ve got 230,*** and running quiet as a kitten. I change oil 3000-5000 depending on color and change all fluids every 50k.
Do preventative maintenance and it’ll run well past 300k miles.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I like ExplorerTom's answer. Keep it running and make the necessary repairs using the best parts and labor possible. You don't mention the mileage, but these trucks generally give little trouble up to about 160,000 miles, then start having minor problems. I've found that properly maintained, you should easily see 220 - 260,000 miles.

You're in New York, so check your brake lines above the fuel tank for bad rust. Also check the body mounts in the same area, and the spare tire elevator. Those are problems with road salt. My spare tire is still on I-78 somewhere.

I'd refrain from spending big money on the truck as a major repair may be not far down the road. Ride it, enjoy it, maintain it and save for its replacement but don't drop $5,000 into a 22 year old truck unless it's pretty low mileage.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I like ExplorerTom's answer. Keep it running and make the necessary repairs using the best parts and labor possible. You don't mention the mileage, but these trucks generally give little trouble up to about 160,000 miles, then start having minor problems. I've found that properly maintained, you should easily see 220 - 260,000 miles.

You're in New York, so check your brake lines above the fuel tank for bad rust. Also check the body mounts in the same area, and the spare tire elevator. Those are problems with road salt. My spare tire is still on I-78 somewhere.

I'd refrain from spending big money on the truck as a major repair may be not far down the road. Ride it, enjoy it, maintain it and save for its replacement but don't drop $5,000 into a 22 year old truck unless it's pretty low mileage.

I get this, I do, but what is the alternative? Buying another used truck for say $20k? That would have about 100k miles or more on it and it for damn sure won't be as reliable as these 1st gens not to mention inexpensive to repair.

What is a great running 1st gen with minimal rust on the rocker panels with 200k miles worth nowadays? Seen the prices of used trucks lately? I'm sure one of ours would sell on fleabay for around $5k. So then the question is, what is the real value (vs price) of these trucks we drive and love?

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the price of trucks today I feel this is a legitimate question.

I would like to get a general opinion on whether someone (myself) should invest money in rehabbing a 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition.

I should say that I am not a mechanic and would not be doing any of this work myself.
I'm thinking I wouldn't touch the motor or transmission at this point and just look at body, total suspension and a little interior work.

I have no idea of cost but was hoping to get away with $5-8 k total cost. This would be considered a partial rehab I suppose.

These are my general thoughts:

a. Truck body is in very good condition, no damage and only a little rust in the lower body panels. Truck has been undercoated for at least 10 of its 21 years

b. Interior is excellent with only minor work to be done

c. Still on the road today with 180 K, runs good and I have maintained it when needed. A little knock when cold but engine seems good and my mechanic said this model year has a great engine. 8 cyl 5.4 liter. I think the engine could easily go another 50k.

I'm sure I'm not painting a complete picture here but any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance

I had a 2000 Eddie Bauer (see link in signature) that I bought with barely fewer miles than the OP currently has. I drove it up to 263k mikes and sold it to a guy who is still driving it. I had some issues with radiators that ultimately led me to selling it. Good truck otherwise. You can read about a lot of my adventures in and out of the garage in that link.

In conclusion, at 180k miles, keep the oil changed and clean and replace parts as needed. Drive it for another 5+ years. Make monthly truck payments to a separate savings account that you can use for a downpayment when the time does come to get something different- this will take the sting out of buying.

ExplorerTom has the best answer yet.

I had 1997 EB Black on Black on Black (like the No Boundaries Edition) that I traded (along with a 93 S10) for a 2000 Ford Excursion Limited (the Exxon Valdez Fuel Tanker Edition). I needed a bigger family truck at the time until it caught fire due to a late recall on it. Ford ended up finally paying for the truck. Went back to 1999 EB and have had it since. Bought it in 2010 on eBay for $2500.00 with 56K on it. It now has 203,000 on the clock. It's on its third motor installed by myself in 2015. The second was a crappy rebuild that had a split a valve guide hammering up and down. I saw too many problems with the rebuild. That said I found that they broke off both the bottom (ears) holes attaching the motor to the tranny, and use black silicone to fill what was missing and hold the bolts in place. A rebuilt tranny (2017) the seal went in Time Square, what a mess.
Anyway every spring I go through the truck and make every repair needed to make sure it passes Safety inspection. NO emission test on a 99 in Massachusetts. No CEL you're good to go. This year it only needs a bulb if that for the third brake light. It's very common due to heat and the harness gets very hot and burnt. It may just need to be cleaned and greased. The lenses does get hot as well and cracks letting water in. As well as a pair of front sneakers if that. One is a 2014 looks like its starting to dry rot, and the other is a 2018 my niece curbed when learning to drive. NOTE: Never put new tires on when you're teaching someone to drive. All four tires were only two weeks old then, OUCH. Currently teaching my youngest to drive now and changing the tires is debatable and I have until August for the inspection anyway.

As for mechanical there's always something with a vehicle at this age. I'm 55, not a mechanic and retarded, but have been turning wrenches since I was 14 on a 1974 Dodge Charger SE (White on White on White). The cost of repairs can always run up when needed as opposed to a monthly payment and the surprise repairs at $100 plus an hour.

Last edited: