2000 Expy engine rattle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mammoth

Reaction score
I noticed today that there's a rattle coming from the motor. 5.4 liter no check engine light, no gauges acting crazy. I'm assuming something is loose. Was hoping someone might of had the same issue. Thanks.

Ssimmons

Reaction score
Any idea where its coming from? Mileage? If high mileage and sound like the noise is coming from the front it could be timing chain.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it sounds like the front, disconnect belt, spin the pulleys. The belt tensioner wears out, sounds like an old roller skate when you spin it. Had another forum member with that problem. Pretty quick to disconnect belt, check all pulleys, air cond, alt, p/s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mammoth

Reaction score
it's at idle when I hear it and it's at the front of the motor. Mileage I'm not really sure because my odometer stopped working soon after I bought it but I'd say it's probably sitting right at about 110,000

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a similar problem and what I have found is that the heat shield over one of the cats has a broken weld It tends to rattle at idle and can get very loud. If that is your problem then get some bailing wire and wrap it around the heat shield and cat and fasten it tight.

There are videos on youtube about repairing the odometer problem on the 1st gen expys Very easy to fix Just need to be able to solder. No mater what don't believe a mechanic if he tell you the instrument cluster needs to be repaired or replaced at a cost of $300.00 or more Look at the videos.