2000 ford expedition 5.4l with 4r100 tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Skylar Palmer

Reaction score
i do know a little bit about cars i new it was earthier head gasket or cracked head before i mention it on here

OP
OP
S

Skylar Palmer

Reaction score
does anybody know of any full rebuild kits for the 5.4 2v the only on ive found was from dnj and they have two option one with a 1.35 dish piston with power improve and one with 0.86 inch dish piston w/o power improve i dont know witch one if anybody out there knows of any other brand please let me know thanks the more help the more i can understand my expy

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get either Ford or fel pro for the gaskets, buy a complete set, you'll need all of them even the oil pan. Debris from the chain guides gets on top of the oil pump. Depending on the damage you might want to consider a reman Ford or Jasper complete engine. Head gaskets can be easy or a total mess inside, you'll have to tear down and inspect first. Your mileage is relatively low so you might be able to figure out why your overheating/ exaust gas problem happened, do a head pressure check for cracks, a valve job on heads, and slap it back together. On any overheating job, new thermostat, upper/lower radiator hoses, water pump, and radiator clean out/ replacement. You don't want this scenario a second time. Do it right once and be done with it!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your upper radiator hose should get firm after the thermostat opens.... it shouldn’t be bloated but it’s normal for the hose to get firm as the engine warms. It will also stay pretty firm for a while after you shut it down as the engine is heat soaking at that point and pressure builds in the system.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get either Ford or fel pro for the gaskets, buy a complete set, you'll need all of them even the oil pan. Debris from the chain guides gets on top of the oil pump. Depending on the damage you might want to consider a reman Ford or Jasper complete engine. Head gaskets can be easy or a total mess inside, you'll have to tear down and inspect first. Your mileage is relatively low so you might be able to figure out why your overheating/ exaust gas problem happened, do a head pressure check for cracks, a valve job on heads, and slap it back together. On any overheating job, new thermostat, upper/lower radiator hoses, water pump, and radiator clean out/ replacement. You don't want this scenario a second time. Do it right once and be done with it!

jasper is overrated
powersource is better than ford, and there is one other company which is just as good as powersource, but i forgot their name

Your upper radiator hose should get firm after the thermostat opens.... it shouldn’t be bloated but it’s normal for the hose to get firm as the engine warms. It will also stay pretty firm for a while after you shut it down as the engine is heat soaking at that point and pressure builds in the system.

yes, the radiator is a pressurized system, so it should be tight

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only reason I included Jasper is more than a few members here have had good luck with their remans. If you think of the other quality motor, please post it!

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only reason I included Jasper is more than a few members here have had good luck with their remans. If you think of the other quality motor, please post it!

trust me 100%
avoid jasper, they have done too many people dirty, they don't even like doing business with "little people"

oh, i found that other company which does the best remans,
they are called promar
this is not a blind recommendation, you can actually research their equipment and process, especially for powersource, they have a video youtube detailing their equipment. both promar and powersource are the best, but personally, i like powersource a little better

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to know thanks for the post

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
ok my other question is on aftermarket tuners and i know when ford made them in 2000 the computer was written a certain way and a guy in Alaska in he does diagnostic and i brought the subject of tuners and he ask me why would i need to get a tuner and i said to calibrate my speedo and he says aftermarket tuners are a but to try it he said sometimes they work and sometimes you have to get 5 new computer and have it re flashed has anybody used a tuner on a gen 1 expedition i was looking at the edge revolution tuner hate to spend $600 and change it and have it **** up my computer and have to spend 2k to get new computers to get it re flashed
... . .... , , , , ,???