2000 XLT H9 LSD leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaFish

Reaction score
Just bought a 2000 XLT 4X4 with the H9 LSD. 90,000 miles and in XLNT shape. Put about 700 miles on it and now notice a leak where the drive shaft enters the differential. Checked and cleared vent tube (didn't seem to be clogged or dirty) Can someone direct me to a DIY link or? to make this repair? I'm guessing a pinion seal seal is in order......Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
DaFish, yes, you are correct in the fact that the pinion seal is toast and you will need a new one. Along those same lines, doing the pinion seal is pretty straight forward, but you will also need your hands on a new crush collar too since you will be undoing the pinion nut to get the flange off. Make sure you follow the directions on how to properly crush the collar. If you don't, you can either trash the pinion bearing or you will trash the seal again.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I know what you're thinking "What if I just reuse the crush sleeve?"

Answer: Sorry, it's a one time use thing.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
First I would note if you have any play in your pinion bearings. Grab your driveshaft and attempt to move up and down. Should be zero play. If there is you may also need new pinion bearings.

Unless you are replacing a gear set or pinion bearings it is not necessary to replace crush collar. I have done it both ways with an 8.8 rear in my mustang but I also went through several gear sets due to different combos. Easy method is to mark pinion nut in relation to the pinion before removal and count threads exposed. Upon reinstalling set to original position. It should be readily noticable as you tighten it down as it will stop and require much more torque to proceed. This should set bearing preload as it was. No better, no worse. By the book you would use inch pound torque wrench to measure rotational torque before and after replacement to make sure they match but this involves removing the brakes to correctly measure bearing preload.

After you remove pinion flange check it for any groves in the sealing surface. Any groves and its trash and will not seal and should be replaced.

If replacing pinion bearings you would then need to install new crush collar and you need inch pound wrench to properly set bearing preload. It also becomes a lot more involved because you have to remove the differential to get the pinion out to replace the inside pinion bearing which is a biotch to get off unless you have the proper tools.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Pinion seal. Pinion flange file is too large.... can email.. :)

Attachments

• Pinion Seal.pdf
    78.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I found "free" pdf to jpeg converter online...lol. You would never know.. :)
If you would like I can email you the pdf version with out sample written across the page.

PinionSeal-1.jpg

PinionSeal-2.jpg

pinionflange-1.jpg

pinionflange-2.jpg

pinionflange-3.jpg

pinionflange-4.jpg

pinionflange-5.jpg

Last edited:

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Orrrr, you could just buy the whole rear end that is for sale here locally on CL for $100-lol