2001 2WD Front Wheel Bearings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok If you follow my other threads, I have new Michelin Defenders, New LBJ's, New UCA's, New Pads and Rotors (front). Some serious money spent at 94K miles. Work done at one of the chain stores.

I have not driven many miles but notice a low growling sound that turns on above 30 MPh. Also on sharp left and right turns and after braking a slight clunk like two wooden blocks banged together.

I am concerned that the wheel bearings may have been improperly pre loaded. My Haynes manual has no guidance on the 2WD model, but shows torque numbers for 4WD.

The manager indicated the wheel bearings would be repacked when the new rotors were installed. I would assume if there were bearing damage I would have been told at the time because frankly, they like to $ell $tuff.

I am concerned that taking it back I am going to be paying for their mistake. If it is a preload issue and I have only driven a couple hundred miles under 50 MPH do I have any damage?

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jack up each side, not together, and turn wheel. Should hear/feel grinding at hub(s) or looseness at spindle/bearings.

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All fixed. Slightly bad wheel bearing on right side. Tech missed it when replacing the rotors, or it did not like the tolerance of the new rotor. Shop replaced it for free.