2001 Reverse Sensing System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighSierra49er

Reaction score
The reverse sensing circuit on my 01 has me a bit baffled. In every shift position except reverse, including park and neutral, the system is on, but in reverse it doesn't work. At intersections, if a vehicle gets too close to me from the rear I get the chirping, and at two intersections in town the reverse alerter activates no matter what the traffic issue. This has been going on for a few weeks, and if it gets too annoying I just turn off the system from the control button in the console. I've looked for solutions, but nothing pops up. Any ideas?? I'm sure this has nothing to do with the sensors themselves, but I did check all four, and they all are working.

Last edited:

jpeltzel

Reaction score
Just a swag, but are those two torx screws on the shift cable tight?

OP
OP
HighSierra49er

HighSierra49er

Reaction score
It's a start to check the shift cable. I need somewhere to begin to trace the issue. The back-up lights are working correctly. I have not had the transmission in for any work or service and can't understand how a switch could get 180 off, or wires reversed, etc. I haven't been able to find any source that tells me where the switch might be at the transmission, but maybe looking at the shift cable will help me gain more familiarity with the trans., and I can probe around for any wiring that might be attached to the trans. I would have thought that the sensors would be on the same circuit as the back-up lights, but apparently not. Such a strange issue, and after spending quite a bit of time hunting for sources that might have had the same problem pop up, I have found nothing. If I can just find the switch and isolate it, I'd have the problem solved.