2002 On/Off Road 4x4 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick003

Reaction score
I'm new to forums but wanted to give it a shot. I've read many post and followed a lot of links in my research and still come up a little lacking in the information I need to build my Expo to my ideal specs.

I am currently working on a 2002 Ford Expedition XLT AWD/4x4 with a 5.4L V8. The truck is an EX Daily Driver with very little modifying. I does have a 2" torsion bar lift in the front and a 2" coil spacer in the rear. This setup alloes me to fit approx 34x12.50x17. The wheels are factory 17x8 5 lugs.

Here's my conundrum and hope for a resolution to my stall. I want to increase the towing capacity to pull pretty much any trailer including travel trailers, obviously tongue pull only. I also want the truck to sit comfortable on 36"-38" tires running trails while in the woods Off-Road. I want lockers front and rear and know my gearing will need changed but I don't know what to go to. I'm also fairly sure to achieve my hopes I will need to go to new axles and leafs. That's ballpark of what I'm dealing with, any help or advice appreciated. Thank you.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah those are pretty heavy modifications. Regearing is a big project, but swapping in leaf springs is a bigger project. Clearing 36-38” tires- with trimming? Or solid axle swapping the front? And then if you’re adding that much extra height, towing will suffer.

With 38” tires and being able to “tow anything” the axle is going need BIG gears- probably 5.13 minimum. Not sure what is available for the 9.75 rear- may need to step up to a Sterling 10.25, which would be good because it would have the leaf spring perches on it already since I don’t think that axle came with anything that had coil springs. The front axle? The IFS 8.8 probably won’t work- or at least last very long with 5.13 gearing (if even available).

Not to sound like a dick, but if you’re here asking, it’s beyond your skill set. I have a solid axle swapped Explorer- tons of work went into it and it’s still a project. If offroads great- no longer the best onroad vehicle.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4wd is only really for mud. the size of the tire is much more important than 4wd itself. with that being said, all you need is a rear locker :)

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4wd is used WAY more for than just mud. I rarely go in mud and I use 4wd all the time in the summer- little bit in the winter too.

Spaznaut

Reaction score
A good off-road vehicle will suck towing because of the softer suspension. I've pulled a little with my 4x4 '99 and wasn't happy with it but I'm used to pulling with my '92 E-350. Unless you go with a custom suspension that can be adjusted you won't be happy with one or the other. Try looking at some high end adjustable shocks. No point in going leafs as most high end crawlers use springs. Good luck and let us know if you find any good info on these mods.

OP
OP
Nick003

Nick003

Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone for your feedback. ExplorerTom, it's definitely ambitious and I should have specified that I'm only looking for a slight towing increase. Also I do agree lockers are amazing and if I go through with this build it will have air lockers front and rear. I'm simply trying to use as much of the original vehicle as possible to conserve cost. As for my skill set I'm ASE Master Certified but not stupid enough to tackle something with using resources available to me for planning. I'm not building a mud racer or competition truck, this is simply a toy project that's I'd like to pull a camper, boat, or trailer with not only park it when I'm not mudding. I guess it's more a hunting/outdoors vehicle. I've built all kinds of trucks but everyone has a first and short of a box kit suspension lift and body kit with wheel spacers and 35" tires I've done no major mods on an Expedition. I have a 40x30 two bay shop at my house with almost every tool imaginable so it's not skill or tools that are the problem. Guess the real question is, Is IT WORTH the trouble??? Thanks again to all of you.

Mad Oshea

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 99 5.4 XLT. It has 33s on it now, with a 6 inch Mechanical lift and a 4 inch body lift. I put the 2 inch wheel spacers on it with cut fenders. The wheel sweep is still to much for this truck still. I am going with the Bag lift set on both ends, The forward will get the new instalation for the bags. That may help (bags) with towing?

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I'm new to forums but wanted to give it a shot. I've read many post and followed a lot of links in my research and still come up a little lacking in the information I need to build my Expo to my ideal specs.

I am currently working on a 2002 Ford Expedition XLT AWD/4x4 with a 5.4L V8. The truck is an EX Daily Driver with very little modifying. I does have a 2" torsion bar lift in the front and a 2" coil spacer in the rear. This setup alloes me to fit approx 34x12.50x17. The wheels are factory 17x8 5 lugs.

Here's my conundrum and hope for a resolution to my stall. I want to increase the towing capacity to pull pretty much any trailer including travel trailers, obviously tongue pull only. I also want the truck to sit comfortable on 36"-38" tires running trails while in the woods Off-Road. I want lockers front and rear and know my gearing will need changed but I don't know what to go to. I'm also fairly sure to achieve my hopes I will need to go to new axles and leafs. That's ballpark of what I'm dealing with, any help or advice appreciated. Thank you.

The fastest most reliable and cheapest way over the long haul is buy a different truck.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4wd is used WAY more for than just mud. I rarely go in mud and I use 4wd all the time in the summer- little bit in the winter too.

yes i suppose you need the front wheel traction when going over an obstacle, such as a rock, while you are also on a steep incline, but hear me this...
what if you were to step out of the vehicle with a shovel and remove the rock???

now with that being said, i can (and do) offroad in my focus.
if there is a rut, or pit, or any obsticle, i simple step out of my vehicle and fill it, or remove it. shovel and pickaxe my friend.
the front absorber and engine mount are toast, but it really took a lot of punishment before giving out
i am thoroughly impressed with my 08 focus for even the most extreme offroading.
front wheel drive works great

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
front wheel drive works great

I once broke my rear driveshaft on my Explorer while out 4wheeling in the snow. I removed the driveshaft and tried to continue up the trail in FWD. nothing. Zero. Nope. No forward movement. I was doing a decent job of digging 2 holes though.

I suppose we should have sanitizered the trail by filling in this 18” vertical ledge:
6067A9F8-531D-44FE-8EF6-DE5C476CDBB6.jpg

Again, could have made some dirt “ramps” to get over this:
climbing%20ledge.jpg

Would a pick axe work here or should I use a jack hammer:
Explorer%20and%20Hemi.jpg

Maybe dynamite to blast this 2.5 foot drop:
8845DD46-CA1B-4161-8FEA-8A8858103E6B.jpg

Front end loader to move these rocks:
8c03b4ec1ed235f9c781d1980fde8be5.jpg

Your comments make it clear that you don’t have any real off-roading experience. Sure, many of those pictures something could have been done to lessen the severity of the obstacle. However, most true offroad enthusiasts also respect nature and realize that “moving rocks” and “filling in ruts” causes more errosion and therefore more damage to the environment. Not to mention the time involved to do so- it would take hours longer to complete a trail if every rock was removed and rut was filled in. With 4wd, I just drive over it. What seems “extreme” in your Focus is barely noticed in a 4wd.

This picture here, the trail is fairly smooth and your Focus could probably drive up it. However, at 12,500 feet and going up an incline such as this, the extra gearing gained by running in 4 low dramatically improves drive ability: which helps to keep the engine cooler by making the water pump spin faster and the gearing helps to take the strain off the transmission- which keeps it cool.
6F8F2FCC-D06A-43EA-B561-80B75E0C35F3.jpg