2003 EB Exepedition 4WD Suncore Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordGate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right front tire going bald - wasted 3 tires so far...

I have had my right front tire replaced 3 times. I have had the car aligned 4 times. Each time they say it is fine but do it anyway. 4 different shops. The right front air shock is always low, leaking and is always trying to inflate. Would a defective air shock cause the outer edge of the tire to wear out?

I just got the Suncore kit for $489.

My air ride works ok (96k on the Expy) but the front right is constantly running/filling so I assume it is leaking. Also we are about to replace the tire on that corner for the 4th time due to the outer edge of the tire being worn down to threads again. I have had it aligned at least 4 times so I assume it is due to being constantly low from the air bag leaking. Can anyone speak to tire wear due to the shock being low?

Are there any gotchas with this conversion? I don't doubt I can do the work but just looking for the experiences of others. The sticky only addresses the 2002 which I am told is fairly different from other years.

And again my main concern is not going through tires every 6 months.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A worn outside edge would be a toe out issue i think. Is that side of the truck always lower then the other side? I would check the tie rods. I had the strut rod bushings wear out on a 70 stang and it wore the outside of both tires in no time. I was changing tires once a week.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

FordGate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A worn outside edge would be a toe out issue i think. Is that side of the truck always lower then the other side? I would check the tie rods. I had the strut rod bushings wear out on a 70 stang and it wore the outside of both tires in no time. I was changing tires once a week.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

I assume it is always low since the air bag leaks. Would the strut rod bushings be replaced with the kit I bought? The shops around here are ALL crooked, if they could have soaked me for a tie-rod end, they would have. However, they are also incompetent. So I guess it is possible that the tirerods are bad an d4 shops missed it. They are cheap so may as well get them too right? And actually the other side does wear down on the outer edge as well (drivers side front). The right tire is trashed right now with under 5k miles on it the left might pass inspection.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if i owned your truck, and after the second time in the shop. i would take it to Ford
Let them look at it.

OP
OP
F

FordGate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
GoodYears with the teflon sides not sure of the model about $225 each. One of the 4x was at the dealer. I got the kit in today and will put it in this weekend. Not sure it is going to help but at least the air compressor will stop coming on.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I have seen car tires on the Expedition, and they will not handle the weight of a 6000 lbs SUV

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolf_Lazarus