2003 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Help with Upper Control Arm Replacement....Does this Sound Right??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey all.
I need some advice and help please. I recently ran into a curb in the snow on the Drivers side. It is BADLY out of alignment. I went to get it aligned and was told that I need to replace the Upper, Front Bearing and tie rod. I am a severe AMATEUR, so forgive me if I say or describe something wrong.

I started looking for the parts and could not find just a front, upper bearing. I quickly figured that I had to get the Upper Control Arm already with the bearings. The price ain’t too bad and it looks easy enough to do.

I have been dealing back and forth with a vendor trying to make 100% sure I was getting the correct parts. I selected a kit that has both the front upper control arms along with the needed tie rods. The guy wrote me back and asked me to provide the date it was made, whether it’s 4WD, engine, and if it has the ride leveling suspension.

I got as much info as I could get and he then tells me that I needed to go and measure the inside span from the end of the bolts. The one that was picked for me had a span of 9 1/2 inches. He told me that sometimes it takes the one that has the 11 1/2 inch span. I had not seen this detail on any other parts vendors site I checked.

I gave it a quick check to see and sure enough, mine needs the 11 1/2 inch span instead of the chosen one for my vehicle that is 9 1/2 inches.
Does this sound right? I didn’t take the wheel off to measure but I could easily see that it’s bigger than 9 1/2 inches.

Why would I need a part that’s for the auto leveling suspension when I have the standard suspension? Mine was built in September of 2002 with standard suspension.

Will the tie rod ends be the same for both suspension types or will I have to measure those as well??

What else could be an issue for this repair? It looks easy enough, but I’m not very good with car repairs.
If you don’t mind giving advice, I could sure use it.
This is just the first repair. Then comes alignment. Then I have to figure out if my cv axles need replacing or my hub. Something is popping or making noises when I turn into a parking lot or any other uneven pavement. Right now it won’t switch into any other driving mode other than the default 2WD HI. This all started when my sister was driving it and was in a collision where the other vehicle hit the passenger wheel. It drives fine until I turn or if I try and turn it into 4WD.

Any help would be really appreciated.
Have a good weekend everyone and please advise if you don’t mind taking the time.
Larry