2003 side mirror on my 2001 Expedition XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d_mike

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm new to the forum.
And I want to start off by mentioning how much I love my 2001 Ford Expedition XLT truck.
I bought it last summer. Just amazing how a 15 year old truck can feel almost like new and still run like a clock.

However, when I bought it I somehow missed that the passenger side mirror didn't match the driver side original one. So I never got the chance to ask the previous owner about that.
It seems that he has (for some reason) installed a 03-06 Expedition mirror on the passenger side.
Amazon.com: DRIVER SIDE DOOR MIRROR Ford Expedition POWER WITH HEATED GLASS; XLT; WITHOUT TURN SIGNAL; WITH PUDDLE LIGHT; TEXTURED: Automotive
Has someone else done this?

Now I'm a bit puzzled because I now feel like I want to give my truck som extra love and match her mirrors.
I really like the look of the newer one and I also like that it's slightly bigger than the original one. Giving me some extra control of whats going on behind me.
However the 2003 mirror works, just not flawlessly. It doesn't adjust perfectly like the original driver side mirror.
But it works and it does its job. And it looks great and seems to fit as it should.
The reason why I ask is because I've been looking around on amazon on both versions. And the 03-06 mirrors seems to be sold for x3 times the price of an original mirror.
Would I just be stupid to buy a mirror not really made for my car with a much higher price?
But most of all I want to know if anyone else have done an installation of an 03-06 mirror on an older Expedition.

Have a lovely day everyone!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no one in my 6 yrs of being on here has done it due to the difference of lines and angles of the mirrors where they attach to the truck...1st gens have a round corner and 2nd gens have an acute angle...

OP
OP
D

d_mike

Reaction score
no one in my 6 yrs of being on here has done it due to the difference of lines and angles of the mirrors where they attach to the truck...1st gens have a round corner and 2nd gens have an acute angle...

Thank you for the answer man!

Looks like a mystery, haha!
I guess I can snap som pictures if someone is interested...

OP
OP
D

d_mike

Reaction score
2001 Ford Expedition mirror mystery - Album on Imgur

The Mount looks identical to the original, it's just the arm holding the mirror that is different.
It sure looks like a solid installation to me.

Dude, google the mirrors and you will see that they both have an acute angle on top of the mount and a round corner on the bottom.
They are the same on my truck and they look the same on pictures on google.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

d_mike

Reaction score
So then I'm not alone in this world after all haha!
Yeah, I am pretty sure that the mount is exactly the same on the 1st gen as the 2nd gen.
And looking at that bluish F-150, the fit on mine seems better...
I now feel like I have to try this. Atleast for the fun of it!

Thanks for the help guys

KPPCExplorer

Reaction score
The F150 Regular Cab and Super Cab have a slightly different mirror from the Super Crew. Expeditions have the same mirrors as the Super Crew. That's why the fit is off on that Super Cab.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the question is what are u going to do...check junk yards and on ebay u can get just one for $100 or less from what I've seen...