2003 - what causes the ignition chime to stay on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have a 2003 5.4 EB and after I take the key out of the ignition the chime stays on. No big deal, usually just turn it to KOEO (key on engine off) and take out and the chime stops. Today the chime refuses to turn off.

I'm concerned the battery could die (maybe?) if I don't drive it for a couple of days, and that happens.

What part is responsible for the chime? What do I need to replace?

Thanks,

Plati

Reaction score
I know on my 2003 sometimes I'm in a hurry and shut engine off before shifting into Park and the chiming ensues. I guess I need to slow down.

Have to start the engine and then turn it off while in Park to shut it up.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll try that in a minute. I also called AutoZone for what could be involved and they mentioned I can mute in the dash buttons. I'll give that a shot in a minute,

Thanks,
lol, they block my 'other' name for Richard (think Nixon - tricky whatever)

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll look at that also. I did not see an option in setup to turn it off.

I know I have a couple of small electrical gremlins I'm not too worried about:
1- I press the lock button and the driver's door (only) pops back up; and,
2- When I turn on the headlights I have to turn the rheostat up to illuminate the instrument cluster/radio. Otherwise all interior lights stay on. Sometimes the lights will slowly fade on and off at night. Very strange

Rich

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would suspect your Park/Neutral safety switch there on the tranny shift shaft is bad or out of adjustment. The Expy thinks you're not in PARK so it won't let you lock the drivers door with the key FOB, and it chimes when you open the door. Check the safety switch adjustment or just replace it.

Neutral Safety Switch for 4R70w Tranny

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev