2004 EB 5.4 Coolant Temperature Sensor location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomB985

Reaction score
googled it

Right, but that's a different year which uses a different version of the 5.4. There aren't many similarities between the 3V and 2V engines, and the sensor is a completely different location.

The OP is looking for the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor in the following diagram:

OP
OP
R

Riphuero

Reaction score
Right, but that's a different year which uses a different version of the 5.4. There aren't many similarities between the 3V and 2V engines, and the sensor is a completely different location.

The OP is looking for the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor in the following diagram:

So now I'm confused I know where the CHT is but need to know where the ECT is on my vehicle? Is the CHT the same as ECT? I can't seem to find a diagram of its location. Thanks

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your 2004 is a 2V motor. It's different.

This video is a 2V motor coolant temperature sensor change out ....

TomB985

Reaction score
Isn't this the Cylinder head temperature sensor?

There is no coolant temperature sensor, just a cylinder head temperature sensor. The PCM infers coolant temperature from what it sees from the cylinder head temp sensor.

The advantage to this is an accurate reading if air gets in the system. A classic coolant temperature sensor will read a lower temperature when surrounded by air even if the engine is scalding hot, which is cause a lot of overheats over the years. The cylinder head temperature sensor reads metal, not liquid, so will accurately report an overheat if you're truck pukes its coolant all over the ground.

OP
OP
R

Riphuero

Reaction score
There is no coolant temperature sensor, just a cylinder head temperature sensor. The PCM infers coolant temperature from what it sees from the cylinder head temp sensor.

The advantage to this is an accurate reading if air gets in the system. A classic coolant temperature sensor will read a lower temperature when surrounded by air even if the engine is scalding hot, which is cause a lot of overheats over the years. The cylinder head temperature sensor reads metal, not liquid, so will accurately report an overheat if you're truck pukes its coolant all over the ground.

Thank you. I just don’t understand how they sell a ECT for my vehicle when it doesn’t even have one. Thanks again

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you. I just don’t understand how they sell a ECT for my vehicle when it doesn’t even have one. Thanks again

I bought a fuel filter for my 2012 Escape only to find out afterwards that it doesn’t have one- at least not like one that Wix thought it has.