Beef up rear suspension for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Naplesnole

Reaction score
Hello again. As per the 2005 model year, nothing is available aftermarket inost departments. I'm wondering if my 2WD Expedition has anything aftermarket to keep it level. I believe my travel trailer is around 7200lbs. It has the 5.4 but haven't seen much other than axle mods. Thanks!

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There may not be much aftermarket support since air suspension was an option. I've not seen any supplemental suspension systems for them. It would be easy to replace the rear coil spring strut with an air spring strut since they are available and would bolt in. What you'd need to figure out is how to run the air lines and how you want to get air into them. It might be as simple as running the air lines to a convenient location and terminating them with schrader valve somehow. Then you could just inflate them more when needed. Might be something to consider or research at least.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
You need a weight distribution hitch (WDH) between the truck and trailer. Your owners manual will show the weight limits with or without a WDH (I think mine are 6000/9200). Do you have HD Tow and a brake controller for the trailer?

Monkeying around with the rear suspension will still leave the front axle very light (scary steering for one thing). A WDH removes weight from the rear axle and distributes to the front axle and some back to the trailer.

Air bag or Timbren (sic?) leveling of the truck is fine for hauling but inadequate and possibly dangerous for towing since so much gets pulled from the steering axle when the trailer is on the ball.

Towed my 7000 pound travel trailer without incident with both my 2007-5.4V8 and 2017-3.5EB. Same trailer same Equalizer (brand) WDH.

-- Chuck

Last edited:

T Bird

Reaction score
What chuck s said. I use a WD hitch to tow a 6000# travel trailer (390# on the hitch) with my 2017 Expy EL. The whole rig stays absolutely level and the truck rides and handles great.

T Bird

Reaction score
What chuck s said. I use a WD hitch to tow a 6000# travel trailer (390# on the hitch) with my 2015 Expy EL. The whole rig stays absolutely level and the truck rides and handles great.

Attachments

• camper crop.jpg
    camper crop.jpg
    825.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolf_Lazarus