2005 5.4L 3valve EB cranks, fires, dies in under 30 seconds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Helix1948

Reaction score
My 2005 EB was running fine, Drove to work, no problems, no symptoms, no codes. At end of shift, no start. Starter would crank, turn the engine once or twice, then disengage the flywheel. I thought, because of lack of symptoms, the issue must be electrical and related to fuel delivery, as I could not hear the fuel pump priming. Internet research lead me to believe it was the P303 relay (fuel pump relay integral to the board in the fuse box) pulled the fuse box, inspected all fuses, relays and the board, all pass visual inspection (no multimeter and don't really know how to use one.) next I tried replacing the Fuel Pump Driver Module, same symptoms. Replace Battery, starter tries a little harder but still disengages. Replace starter, engine now cranks as much as you could want, but still no fire. Engine starts and runs well with starting fluid but dies again when starting fluid is exhausted. Replaced the fuel pump. Still no go. Created a bypass w/ relay and fuse for P303 relay jumping between switch and green/yellow fuel pump wire... Engine will start but clearly isn't getting enough fuel. I'm convinced this issue is fuel related but without a schrader valve on the fuel rail, how can I test pressure? Been using forums to troubleshoot for years, this is the first time I'm so lost I'm the one asking for help. Thank you for your time.

Update: Worked on the vehicle a little more this afternoon, I purchased a fuel pressure test kit but of course it didn't have the adapters I needed and was useless. I disconnected the fuel line at the rail and had a buddy watch as I turned the key. No fuel spray. Thought maybe it was a positive pressure sort of situation, used starting fluid and held the engine at higher RPM with the fuel line disconnected, no spray, not even a trickle. At this point I believe the pump is not receiving the voltage needed to operate but really don't know how to determine what or where the problem is. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: