2005 developed loud engine knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hotrod

Reaction score
Pulling a trailer on a long trip through the desert and the engine had a very distinct knock at idle when we pulled in for gas. Well I have read enough about this 5.4 3V engine to know it is likely the cam phaser. It's louder on the right bank but what is odd though is the knocking is so much louder sounding at the bellhousing.

I took it to 3 independent mechanics, although I did not leave it for a diagnosis they all felt it was cam phaser associated as well. Estimates for timing job were $2,700 low to $3,500 high, using OEM parts but did not include the upgraded oil pump. The engine just hit 153,000 and has been meticulously maintained, so hope there is nothing else wrong.

Decided to drop it off at the Ford dealer for a diagnosis and estimate, fingers crossed waiting to see if they are reasonable or if this is going to be the final swan song. Just in case been looking at 2017 model as a replacement, new ones are just too darn expensive.

red-russian1

Reaction score
We had exactly the same thing happen with our '05. I changed to 10w-30 and replaced both CVT solenoids and it got better but it's still there. Some of our knock/tick is the RH exhaust manifold though and I just haven't replaced it yet. Ours has been running the same way for about 2 years now and hasn't gotten worse. We're hoping to just trade up to a newer 3/4 ton soon.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Hotrod

Reaction score
I used my stethoscope on the R/manifold and didn't sound like a leak, clear metal on metal knock sound. Left bank phaser was a whirling sound right one had the knock.

I am in CA so never gets very cold, although I run the recommended 5-20 syn blend oil I add the Lucas high mileage additive so not sure if that changes the weight at all. I also religiously change the oil every 3,500 miles. I was getting the start up rattle for the last year but was very brief. One mechanic said drive it till it blows, probably go another 30K miles like this.....Since we tow with it probably not the best idea as my luck would get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hotrod, Is it a tick or a knock? the phasers are an issue and will have the ticking noise but a knock is different. With these 3v, a rocker can break off to create the knock. Note you can get a remanufactured engine for around the same cost as quoted for repair (not including labor) A legitimate shop normally charges 2300 to 2500 to do just the phaser job including a melling oil pump.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hotrod, Is it a tick or a knock? the phasers are an issue and will have the ticking noise but a knock is different. With these 3v, a rocker can break off to create the knock. Note you can get a remanufactured engine for around the same cost as quoted for repair (not including labor) A legitimate shop normally charges 2300 to 2500 to do just the phaser job including a melling oil pump.

OP
OP
H

Hotrod

Reaction score
This is the video I took, hopefully the link works. Replacement engine with labor is far too much to spend on this vehicle, I will let someone else take that one on. Still waiting for the call from Ford. At cold start it has a brief rough idle, when warm it runs smooth as can be with no loss in power noted.

red-russian1

Reaction score
This is the video I took, hopefully the link works. Replacement engine with labor is far too much to spend on this vehicle, I will let someone else take that one on. Still waiting for the call from Ford. At cold start it has a brief rough idle, when warm it runs smooth as can be with no loss in power noted.

Wow, that's a loud knock!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That seems awful loud for a phaser issue. I've only heard a couple with it and maybe it's just the mic on your camera but that is significantly louder than anything I've ever heard.

OP
OP
H

Hotrod

Reaction score
I saw this video which sounded almost exactly the same and it is the phaser. Still waiting on Ford dealer to call me with their diagnosis, they have had it 2 days now.

OP
OP
H

Hotrod

Reaction score
Well got the bad news, technician says the knock is diagnosed as internal and likely in the block not the valve train, they quote new engine at $9,300.....LOL. Not sure I buy this diagnosis considering how well it runs and no codes. But looking like it's time to replace. Would hate to do a timing job then still have the knock.

Appears all the new Expy's have the 3.5 twin turbo, questioning the lifespan of the turbos and motor with the high pressures they run.