2005 ford expedition 5.3l 3v CEL p0430

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Car run and drive perfectly smooth, gas miles is normal, I dint note any kind of performing lost, I just add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner ( chevron ) couple day ago, CEL on today and it show up 4 code, all was P0430 . Any idea ?

65comet

Reaction score
The code is for a EGR valve problem. Most commonly there is a vacuum line tee coming off the passenger side valve cover and connecting to the EGR valve. It is notorious for crumbling and breaking apart. I'd check those vacuum lines first.

B

bedrck46

The following was copied from the 2005 Ford service manual

P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Description: Indicates the bank 2 catalyst system efficiency is below the acceptable threshold.
Possible Causes: See the possible causes for DTC P0420.
Diagnostic Aids: See the diagnostic aids for DTC P0420.

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
Description: Indicates the bank 1 catalyst system efficiency is below the acceptable threshold.
Possible Causes: Use of leaded fuel.
Damaged heated oxygen sensor (HO2S).
Out of range engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor.
High fuel pressure.
Damaged exhaust manifold.
Damaged catalytic converter.
Oil contamination.
Cylinder misfiring.
Downstream HO2S wires improperly connected.
Damaged exhaust system pipe.
Damaged muffler/tailpipe assembly.
Retarded spark timing.
Leaking fuel injector.

Diagnostic Aids: Compare HO2S upstream HO2S11 and downstream HO2S12 switch rate and amplitude. Under normal closed loop fuel conditions, high efficiency catalysts have oxygen storage which makes the switching frequency of the downstream HO2S very slow and reduces the amplitude of those switches as compared to the upstream HO2S. As catalyst efficiency deteriorates, its ability to store oxygen declines and the downstream HO2S signal begins to switch more rapidly with increase amplitude, approaching the switching rate and amplitude of the upstream HO2S. Once beyond an acceptable limit the DTC is set.

B

bedrck46

Ford
Year 2005
Model Expedition
Engine 5.4
Vehicle System ENGINE
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0430
DTC Definition: Bank 2 Catalyst Efficiency Below Limit

65comet

Reaction score
My dyslexia or old age has hit. I typed P0403 instead of P0430 into my code definitions. Please disregard my message for the EGR valve vacuum tee as it does not apply to that code P0430.

OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NP, I dont think I can test this at home, I need bring to the shop, I wonder how much the shop cost to testing this code.

btw bank 2 is driver side or passenger side ? downstream O2 sensor is the one after the cat right ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im using cheap 87 gas, think I should try pump up to premium gas or non enthenol gas ?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Premium will make no difference. It is just more resistant to compression ignition and has no benefit in a motor with 9:1 compression. Non-ethanol might help but really the only way to make an o2 code go away is to do a new sensor

Sent from the Pocket Computer

OP
OP
2005Expedition

2005Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so you think my cat is not clog ? its my o2 sensor ? which sensor should I replace ?