PCM ICM faulty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westang

Reaction score
Hey,
I just registered to the forum after seeing many good tips and recommendations, and I'm hoping someone can either confirm or point me in the right direction here:
I have an 03 EB Expedition RWD 5.4 2v with 160k miles and has been the poster child for reliability up to now. After being driven back from a friend's house, i left it idling on my driveway and it suddenly shut down. It was on fumes for gas so i assumed it simply ran out. I didn't bother re-starting since it would run out before getting to the gas station, so i grabbed my gas can and put a couple gallons in. It's always had an issue with corrosion between the battery connections that gave the familiar "click and nothing" thing, so while it was conked out, i unbolted the terminal connections and cleaned them and put it back together. Fairly remedial and something i've done many times before.
It now has a no crank/no start condition. The check engine light comes on but the engine icon does not. I have an Autel MaxiSys and the PCM doesn't even show up as a module to be tested, and it has always been there in the past when i check codes for ABS and other random less significant issues.
I pulled the pcm from my 03 navigator 3v engine and i figured it wouldn't work being a 3v engine, but i swapped them and the navigator did the same thing as the Expedition with the expeditions PCM installed and the Nav's PCM in the Expedition caused the same no crank/no start in it.
I swapped them back and the Nav started right away. The expedition still had the problem.
I figure the PCM crapped out on me since it was sudden and the instrument panel is acting a little wonky. It has B+ voltage at pin 34 and the grounds have continuity. i hear the relay in the fuse panel clicking and every single fuse was hand checked and all are good.
There doesn't seem to be any test i can perform to confirm, so hopefully someone has experienced the same or similar conditions and their fix was a PCM replacement.
I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be with the engine management on these, so perhaps the immobilizer somehow activated? The red light on the dash doesn't blink, but it locks and unlocks just fine. All the other lights on the instrument cluster work. Another friend lost the key fob a couple yeasrs ago so all i have is the one key with transponder and no fob.
Thoughts?
Thank you.