2005 with all the engine issues of the 3V

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBLAIN

Reaction score
I have a 2005 EB with 130k or so on it, the cam phaser, oil pump, or timing chains have went out on it. will any other motors/years besides the 3v 5.4l motor bolt in this with out a ton of fabrication or retro fitting? I may just replace it but don't want to put the same ol junk in it.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Using new Motorcraft parts (they've been updated) will fix it so it doesn't fail again, as long as you do the whole job. Lots easier than an engine swap, imo. Especially trying to custom fab a different engine into it, because yeah, that would be a huge project.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 EB with 130k or so on it, the cam phaser, oil pump, or timing chains have went out on it. will any other motors/years besides the 3v 5.4l motor bolt in this with out a ton of fabrication or retro fitting? I may just replace it but don't want to put the same ol junk in it.

Do a timing job, And after use only Motorcraft filters with a good silicone anti drainback valve so the tensioners don’t break and cause problems. These engine HATE cheap oil filters. The 5.4 3V a good powertrain as long as you keep up on it and fix it right....... just like the 6.0 PS........lol. You may also consider switching to 5W-30 Oil.

Last edited:

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The funny thing about cheap oil filters is the Motorcraft is the cheapest, aside from the ultra-cheap ones that I'd never use anyway. $3.87 at my local Walmart, a few cents cheaper on rockauto.com.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny thing about oil filters is some motors don't matter what you use, others do. Bottom line make sure they have that drain back valve if aftermarket, or just spend couple bucks extra, and get oem. Oil/ filter isn't something you want to gamble with. Buy two or more at a time, so you have it ready.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing about cheap oil filters is the Motorcraft is the cheapest, aside from the ultra-cheap ones that I'd never use anyway. $3.87 at my local Walmart, a few cents cheaper on rockauto.com.

This statement makes no sense, and has no backing whatsoever. Wix makes Motorcraft filters, the MC filters are exact WIX models with the ford name stamped on them at a cheaper price. Price =/= quality. MC filters are the best filter for these engines for the money. WIX makes some of the best oil filters on the market today.

Last edited:

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The WIX is like a dollar more on RockAuto. The only ones cheaper than the Motorcraft are brands like EcoGuard and Pentius.

There’s a Bosch that is cheaper, but that’s it.

I’m not saying that’s a bad thing either btw. I have 4 Motorcraft filters in a RockAuto box in my garage right now :)

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 4.6 will fit just fine. If possible get the harness and computer with it. Most used auto parts have them as a unit and are fairly cheap. Most come with a 60-90 day warranty

Tdh777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I buy my motorcraft filters from Walmart and they are about 4 dollars. What’s the big deal. Even if it was ten dollars, why would that be an issue. Filters are the cheapest part anyone will even buy for there vehicle. Cheaper than 1 sparkplug